advertisement

Cartridge for Quad 44

Awg

Hello!

I need a piece of advice as to choosing a cartridge for my Quad 44 Mk I with MM riaa circuit module
The preamplifier is used with Quad 405 Mk I.
I am listening to analogue classical lp records with recordings from 1949 to 1977, and I pay a lot of attention to the timbral quality of the musical instruments.

Best regards,
Awg

I used to use a Goldring 1042 on a 44, it was lovely. I now use a Denon DL110, no longer have a 44 but the Denons are well liked here and they work with MM phono stages.

Very versatile MM input on the 44 as you can alter the input to suit most MMs.

I'd try the Denon 110 high output MC on the highest sensitivity setting.

If you want something very decent and a true MM design, the Shure M97Xe can be found for as little as £60 online. Not quite as good as the Denon but half the price.

As has been said the phonostage is very flexible, so matching there isn't a big issue. What deck/arm is it destined for might be the more pertinent question.

In addition you can get MC boards for the 44 for small change, so if you want to go that way then the MM input shouldn't be a limiting factor.

Hello Stevec67, Robert, Uncle Ants,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I see the disc input is very flexible as to sensitivity, capacitance and impedance, and Quad may also make a mc riaa module on request for a given brand and model.

Besides, I have also wondered whether the Quad 44 Mk I be flexible musically speaking, as to choosing among several brands and models?

I search for a cartridge whose sonic qualities and character is closely related to the general sound quality of the Quad 44 Mk I - 405 Mk I.

I hope to find a moving magnet design which can to reproduce realistically old long playing records with classical music, with reference to the sound experienced in the concert hall, preferably one whose sonic attributes and character is near to that of the upper level quality cartridges manufactured around 1975 - 1980.

Does my thoughts and intentions make sense?

Record decks:
Thorens TD 126 Mk III / SME 3009-R
Thorens TD 521 Mk I / Micro Seiki MA 505 Mk III (4-8.5 gr., 9,25 inches)
Revox B 795

Loudspeakers:
Sonab OA 116

Best regards,
Awg

Certainly so far as the SME is concerned Robert's Denon 110 suggestion will be a good choice. I suspect the design may even be as old as your Quad :)

How is the Denon DL110 superior to the Shure M 97xE? As to timbral balance?
;)

Best regards,
Awg

How is the Denon DL110 superior to the Shure M 97xE? As to timbral balance?
;)

Best regards,
Awg

Tonally better, very flat response, no generator related presence suck-out, cleaner tracking and sweeter top end due to the better tip profile.
Also performs consistently into varying loads and isn't fussy about capacitance, unlike the Shure and other MMs.

A bit better in just about every respect.

Needles and Spins above carries the new Ortofon & Goldring MMs so you might want to get his views on those. Likely to be very good given the pedigree.

Hello!

Many thanks for all answers.
I have decided to buy the Shure M 97xE, and I am looking forward to it.

Best regards,
Awg.

advertisement

Back