advertisement

Cartridge for 12-inch singles

abbydog

pfm Member
I’ve come into a substantial number of 12-inch singles, cut at both 45 and 33, in minty condition. So I wondered if there is any mileage in a dedicated cartridge for these, given they often seem to be cut hotter than LPs. Anyone have experience of getting the best out of them?

Shouldn’t need a different cartridge or approach to LPs IMO. Maybe nudge the tracking weight up just a smidge if you are having any issues tracking, but I’ve never found the need. They’ve always sounded great on any deck/arm/cart combo I’ve owned.

^^^ Totally agree with that having quite a few 12" singles, mainly 45RPM and played them with a variety of cartridges, always sound superb!

Would be nice to forgo the Ortofon Nightclub experience :)

Will see how they track but coils can be a bit marginal. Looking around it seems Sure V15VxMR was the weapon of choice back in the early naughties - bit late for that now.

I've never come across a specific cart. for ANY singles. As Uncle Nigel almost says above, the overload margin of the ph/stage, if already working close to its limits, might be a problem with heavily cut records. I've a few, but apart from slightly greater output, there's no problem with any moving coil I've had.

The only other potential pitfall is the faster speed obviously increases the frequency warps occur at, so otherwise unnoticed cart compliance/arm mass issues may appear. Unlikely though unless the match was not good to start with.

advertisement

Back