advertisement

Cartridge comparison?

AussiePete

pfm Member
I have an old Linn from the late eighties with Ittok/Karma, which hasn't had all that much use but has beckoned since making Neil's excellent mini phono board with NJ 323's.
The other day I unearthed a virtually new Supex 900 which had done very little work on a Rega 3, almost 20 years ago.
I've just ordered a new spring set and oil and belt as well as all the components needed to upgrade the Valhalla, so I'm keen to get it sorted.
Having said that, it still sounds remarkably good as it is.
My question is whether anybody has made any direct comparisons between these two cartridges on a similarly set up Linn?
Is it worth using one or the other?
Before anyone tells me to upgrade, I am in no financial position to.
Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

I've had both cartridges on a similar spec LP12. Assuming both are in good working order I'd pick a Karma over a Supex 900, but the Supex is a respectable cartridge. A Karma I think would have different loading from a Supex, so you may need to modify the phono boards to the K version.

But given the age of these cartridges I'd expect the suspensions have seen better days. Does either ride low when the needle is lowered into a groove?

Joe

Hi JoeP,
thanks for the response.
I have only just found the Supex in its little box.
The Karma rides nicely and not too low.
I'm just wondering whether its worth the effort of changing them around, that's all.
One question though; why would the suspension be affected when neither of them have been under any load?
Thanks,
Pete

P.S. I thought the Karma was the "K" loading?

Pete,

The Naim 323 phono boards came in two versions with different loading — 323S and 323K.

The K version is the one to use with a Karma or Troika. I think the S version would be the one to use with your Supex and most low-output moving-coil cartridges. It's not clear from your first post which version you have, but one version can be modded to the other and vice versa. (I think it's just a resistor change on the board.)

Cartridge suspensions will age even if the cartridge isn't being used. If the cartridge was in a cool and dry place away from sunlight it could be OK, but after 20 years I think the suspension would have degraded a bit. A low rider is one sign a suspension is shot.

If everything is fine I'd go with the Karma and double check that your 323 boards are the K version.

Joe

Try them both and use them things on the side of yer head to decide which you prefer... fair dinkum :)

Thanks for that; I thought that those things on the side of my head were for cooling:D
The reason I ask is that it is a real hassle removing my Linn from its head height wall mounted rack, and I can't do any alignment etc when it's in there.
I'm just trying to get some opinion whether it would be worth the hassle.
Pete

Both cartridges are rather old, the Supex (they are related actually!) more so, and much will depend on how well the suspension rubbers etc have survived. There is no alternative really to trying them.

I would just keep the Karma on the Ittok and enjoy. It's a fine cartridge and great match for the arm. Keep the Supex as a backup as it's also a very good cartridge that you could rotate in if you ever get into rebuilding the Karma.

advertisement

Back