advertisement

Cartridge Azimuth

topoxforddoc

pfm Member
I know that there have been couple of threads in the past looking at this issue. I know that you can set azimuth by eye. I've been doing this for nearly 40 years with my Hadcock and a host of other tonearms.

Take it that the TT plinth is level, everything else is set up correctly and you have a preamp, which has no mono switch.

a) Do I buy a Fozgometer? (The Feickert Azimuth+ looks too finicky for me, as I am a Mac user and the software is windows only)
b) Do I buy an oscilloscope?

Option a) looks relatively easy to do. As I don't want to lug a whole load of gear around, an easy (albeit not cheap) solution is good for me.

If it's option b), then what sort of scope and how do I connect it up to my system? Is option b) easy to do for those in the know?

Thanks

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Azimuth error impacts channel separation.
You could try obtaining a copy of the old Ortofon direct cut test record which has noise bands for establishing the degree of cross channel bleed.

The test signal falls in 5dB steps and you compare to a given reference signal.

It's easy and fast if you don't want to fiddle with gadgets and scopes.

Relax.

Use a small mirror under the cartridge and/or a voice from a mono LP. Alternatively, a small bubble level on the headshell.

Pleased to see you're still involved here Charlie. :)

Thank you.

I've used a mirror and spirit level for nearly 40 years. Knowing now that styli can be up to +/- 2 degrees out on the cantilever, seeing a parallel cartridge might not mean that stylus azimuth and crosstalk are optimised.

Just thinking about going that last little bit to extract the most out of my LPs. Alternatively I could just forget it and enjoy my R2R instead :)

Robert, thanks, I'll keep an eye for one. They are quite rare though.

Knowing now that styli can be up to +/- 2 degrees out on the cantilever, seeing a parallel cartridge might not mean that stylus azimuth and crosstalk are optimised.

I think I'll carry on with the mirror, not sure my hearing is up to discerning that small difference.

Suppose it depends on how certain you wish to be in your mind about your set up.

I'd be a bit pissed off if any of my cartridges was wrongly aligned. I assume that above a certain level incorrect positioning of the stylus on the cantilever won't be a factor.

Mirror and bubble level for me too; not that I've ever found any inaccuracies in azimuth on my arms.

I'd be a bit pissed off if any of my cartridges was wrongly aligned. I assume that above a certain level incorrect positioning of the stylus on the cantilever won't be a factor.

Mirror and bubble level for me too; not that I've ever found any inaccuracies in azimuth on my arms.

Mike,

This is what Jonathan Carr from Lyra said about this in 2004 on audio asylum. Although Lyra specify +/- 1 degree to Ogura/Namiki, +/- 2 degrees is acceptable for some cartridge manufacturers.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vinyl&m=357209

I know that there have been couple of threads in the past looking at this issue. I know that you can set azimuth by eye. I've been doing this for nearly 40 years with my Hadcock and a host of other tonearms.

Take it that the TT plinth is level, everything else is set up correctly and you have a preamp, which has no mono switch.

a) Do I buy a Fozgometer? (The Feickert Azimuth+ looks too finicky for me, as I am a Mac user and the software is windows only)
b) Do I buy an oscilloscope?

Option a) looks relatively easy to do. As I don't want to lug a whole load of gear around, an easy (albeit not cheap) solution is good for me.

If it's option b), then what sort of scope and how do I connect it up to my system? Is option b) easy to do for those in the know?

Thanks

Charlie

No the Fozgometer while excellent--does not show Phase response --very important part of the equation

The Feickert Adjust+ is the benchmark(outside of an oscilloscope!) which gives all aspects of the Cart alignment for correct Azimuth

The Dr F Program is relatively straightforward for the uninitiated-- you get the Dongle/Test LP/Level/etc--you need the SBX Sound

blaster USB card extra and the program runs it self --there is a Youtube Video showing how to implement

No Problems on the MAC--I use it on my MacBook with Virtual Box--its free download which enable Windows to run on the Mac

Good Luck

D41

D41

thanks for that. Presuambly I can use any form of soundcard on my Macbook Air. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Presumably I could input the sound into that.

I always use the Adjust+pro as have never found a cartridge that is exactly level.
Various Koetsu's ZYX4D Benz LPS + a selection of Lyra's and Denon 103's.
Currently using LPS at -1 degree
Properly set which takes about 20 minutes and you can really hear the difference together with maximum stereo separation and phase. A tonearm that is easy to slightly alter the azimuth angle is helpful. Graham Phantom or Reed for instance

http://www.feickert.de/index.php?id=12&L=1

Has anyone written an open source program to do this analysis? That would allow people to use it 'native' on any OS they fancy.

Jim

Surely, no matter what you do with any arm other than a linear tracker, there's going to be some yaw relative to tip to pivot distance over most of the record.

I use a digital hand held oscilloscope to check the azimuth.
I have several different cartridges and they all respond, to varying degrees, to azimuth adjustment. I have found it to be a worthwhile exercise.

I had someone come round the other day to listen the my tt and try their cart out with it. This involved resetting my tone arm to accommodate their cart. Later, after swapping my own cartridge back, the sound was off. Resetting the azimuth helped, however, I also took the opportunity to experiment with the alignment angle (after setting up with protractor etc) adjusting it incrementally (+or-) then listening.

I was surprised to end up with a significant improvement in the cartridge's sound compared to my original setup. I guess it is not given that all cartridges will conform exactly to their given spec. Or maybe it is beneficial to readjust after the cart has been used for a while and had "bedded in"?

I use a digital hand held oscilloscope to check the azimuth.
I have several different cartridges and they all respond, to varying degrees, to azimuth adjustment. I have found it to be a worthwhile exercise.

I had someone come round the other day to listen the my tt and try their cart out with it. This involved resetting my tone arm to accommodate their cart. Later, after swapping my own cartridge back, the sound was off. Resetting the azimuth helped, however, I also took the opportunity to experiment with the alignment angle (after setting up with protractor etc) adjusting it incrementally (+or-) then listening.

I was surprised to end up with a significant improvement in the cartridge's sound compared to my original setup. I guess it is not given that all cartridges will conform exactly to their given spec. Or maybe it is beneficial to readjust after the cart has been used for a while and had "bedded in"?

So what digital scope have you bought and how do you connect it up? Do you check it in X-Y mode Lissejoul?

D41

thanks for that. Presuambly I can use any form of soundcard on my Macbook Air. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Presumably I could input the sound into that.

Hi, Not certain of that one--the one I use is the recommended

Creative labs #SB1095 SBX Prostudio.

Good luck

D41

So what digital scope have you bought and how do you connect it up? Do you check it in X-Y mode Lissejoul?

I originally had a full size dual Phillips oscilloscope.
I bought this scope from Maplins
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/velleman-40mhz-handheld-pocket-oscilloscope-n55jn
It does the job just as well and is much more convenient.

It did not come with a probe as I did not need it (had one anyway).
Just connect it to the preamp rec out sockets, (or the phono stage's out if you prefer). The other end into the scope -alternately L&R.
I just compare the crosstalk sine wave displayed for each channel. It is only a single channel scope but has a memory function so you can swap back and forth between the readings, adjust azimuth, until they are equal.

advertisement

Back