advertisement

Cartridge-Arm incompatibility: Cadenza Bronze-Wilson-Benesch ACT 1

You know, I think you've exhausted the possibilities here. It's the cart arm combo. Mostly the cart...

But every arm I've tried? Following your advice, I gave up on the WB, it's now in a Syrinx with new bearings fettled by Audio Origami a few years back

You may be right but I don't think so since various other turntables/arm/cartridge set ups I have tried don't do this - I think I've been through 3 Cadenzas, 2 Stanton 881s, a Transfiguration Spirit, and an Ortofon MC10 Super in the WB arm, a Rega RB300, a Linn Akito 2B, the Syrinx, a SME3009, and my unipivot in various combinations on three different turntables. Only this Cadenza does this. I re-tested the Transfiguration in the unipivot (which should be a combination made in hxll, low compliance cartridge and very low mass arm) immediately afterwards and it doesn't do this.
Thought about asking if Dealer/Henley/Ortofon will swap it for another model of similar value? I’ve a PU7 which would be broadly similar to your Syrinx? My Bronze is OK on a Gyro/PU7, now back on the 1200G with stock arm and tracking fine.

I can’t recall reading about anyone else having the sort of issues you’re having, be a real long shot but maybe you’ve had carts from a bad QC batch? When you play familiar LPs is it very obviously misbehaving audibly?

Shame to have to go to the expense but have you thought about getting a 3rd party inspection/report by AO, Expert or similar.

Well, Henley have said that since the latest Bronze was checked at the factory before it was sent out - they say all Bronzes are individually checked before being sent out - so there's nothing more they are willing to do, basically they've said I bought the wrong cartridge.
It's been sitting in my Syrinx arm on the Orbe unused since the middle of June - I simply can't be bothered with it when my Transfiguration Spirit (now in a rebuilt Linn Akito 2B) delivers a much more pleasing performance. I tried the Bronze again this afternoon and this only served to confirm that the Bronze does not work in my system. Does anyone want an essentially new Bronze, checked at the factory before dispatch for £1200?.

advertisement

Back