advertisement

Cars with front lights on but no back lights....eh?

I've given up flashing these morons, their mirrors don't work either.
I actually pulled up next to one waiting at a roundabout after following him for five minutes and trying to alert him, I actually got him to put his win down and told him he had no lights on on the back of his car… he shrugged and drove on… without switching them on. Stupid people can’t be fixed.

No they don't.

" A statistical meta-analysis by Elvik, Christensen, and Fjeld Olsen (2003) that included 25 studies evaluating the effect on cars, found that the use of DRLs reduces the number of multi-party daytime accidents for cars by about 5–15 %. Knight et al. "

Of which some would be fatal.

I was on my phone, not the laptop last night. Try this; http://www.dadrl.org.uk/DRLstudies.html
Before the EU politicians decided the DRL rule would make them look good, a couple of countries (Poland? Austria? I forget) found that the use of DRLs increased the risk to vulnerable road users, particularly children, and actually banned them! You can look it up for yourself, I can no longer be bothered.

I was on my phone, not the laptop last night. Try this; http://www.dadrl.org.uk/DRLstudies.html
Before the EU politicians decided the DRL rule would make them look good, a couple of countries (Poland? Austria? I forget) found that the use of DRLs increased the risk to vulnerable road users, particularly children, and actually banned them! You can look it up for yourself, I can no longer be bothered.

Nobody on the site could be bothered from 2011.

Why? In bright sunshine? In southern Europe? Just why?

Regardless, the law is the law. 10 years ago or so, I got pulled over twice going to and from the ferry in Rab, Croatia for not having my lights on - by the same cop!! He wasn't too amused the second time, but fortunately no ticket as I did my best to apologize in my rather poor hrvatski.

Nobody on the site could be bothered from 2011.
Deflection and irrelevant.
Regardless, the law is the law. 10 years ago or so, I got pulled over twice going to and from the ferry in Rab, Croatia for not having my lights on - by the same cop!! He wasn't too amused the second time, but fortunately no ticket as I did my best to apologize in my rather poor hrvatski.
Yes, it may be the law, but my question was, why?

Automatic headlight activation and DRLs don't make someone's car visible during heavy fog on the Dunstable Downs this morning, for example.

Automatic headlight activation and DRLs don't make someone's car visible during heavy fog on the Dunstable Downs this morning, for example.
Yes, a bugbear of mine - people not using high-intensity lights when they'd be useful; and people not switching them off when they're not, or when they're likely to dazzle. It's another one to file under 'thoughtless driving'. Going to need a bigger filing cabinet for that one soon.

Reactions: MJS
Use of headlights have been reported to reduce peoples ability to judge the speed of the oncoming vehicle. As with everything it's not black and white and there is a balance to be had. It's not as simple as saying lights are good, and should be on at all times.

People rely too much on "studies" and the fact that a few studies have indicated the use of lights reduced road injuries (or whatever the postive results were) have been grabbed at by safety advocates with no critical thinking. Leading to "lights are good", no need to think further or do any further investigation to prove it's actually true under all circumstances etc or what the possible negative consequences are.

I'm not saying people shouldn't use lights, but light use needs to be appropriate and as has been stated above use of lights in clear bright days is pointless, but yet people still respond with condescension.

Yes, a bugbear of mine - people not using high-intensity lights when they'd be useful; and people not switching them off when they're not, or when they're likely to dazzle. It's another one to file under 'thoughtless driving'. Going to need a bigger filing cabinet for that one soon.
That's because it's simply not possible to say absolutely that use of lights in circumstances X, or not use of lights in circumstances Y is the right thing to do. Theres too much variability involved, and at best all that people can do is provide "guidance".

Eg how exactly do you determine the "correct" amount of fog density for when fogs or mains should be used? Even if there were a scientifically determined correct value, drivers are left with judgement, they can't get out and measure it before flipping the switch on the dashboard.

That's because it's simply not possible to say absolutely that use of lights in circumstances X, or not use of lights in circumstances Y is the right thing to do. Theres too much variability involved, and at best all that people can do is provide "guidance".

Eg how exactly do you determine the "correct" amount of fog density for when fogs or mains should be used? Even if there were a scientifically determined correct value, drivers are left with judgement they can't get out and measure it before flipping the switch on the dashboard.
It’s not rocket science. I look at the cars ahead of me, and if they’d be easier to spot sooner, I put mine on. Then I keep in mind that they are on, and switch them off as soon as conditions suggest it.

It’s all about thinking about the task at hand. Too many people fail to do that.

Eg how exactly do you determine the "correct" amount of fog density for when fogs or mains should be used? Even if there were a scientifically determined correct value, drivers are left with judgement, they can't get out and measure it before flipping the switch on the dashboard.

It's a test to see if you should have your licence revoked, judging by the standard of driving about 80% of drivers should be on the bus.

It's not difficult.

Have you read that article? There isn't a single unequivocal statement in it stating that DRL save lives without any negative impact in their use. The single actual study* indicated that at best their use may "break even" against the negatives.

This is literally as positive as it gets:
  • A later UK (Department for Transport) study confirmed the Commission's findings on accident reduction, but cast doubts about whether the benefit would outweigh the costs
  • The UK study also found that dedicated DRLs could improve the visibility of cars in dim light without reducing the visibility of motorcyclists
*It's significant that the AA only cite a single study. Where is the plethora of world wide studies that prove their use is even on balance positive? If we're talking safety that would be the absolute minimum that should happen.

advertisement

Back