advertisement

Cardas Tonearm Cable

I.D.C.

pfm Member
Anyone got experience with this cable and would be so kind to pass on your thoughts. The cable the turntable comes with is Van Den Hul dealer recommends the Cardas as an up-grade.
Thanks for any info.

A friend of mine has used three hi end tonearm cables on his Graham arm....the Stealth Dream, FM Acoustics and the Cardas. In that order of preference too.

I fitted the Incognito all in one internal arm & external harness to my Rega-3 thats made with Cardas 33AWG .......... the best upgrade I've made for £100 bar none

check out Yannis Tome, he hand makes a cable for the SME (I am assuming) and its bloody brill! search for 423.5 phono, its 100% silver and is a massive upgrade on the awful VDh stock cable

He also makes cardas , van damme, and countless others from their cable , and his quality of workmanship is devine!

What is this query about...the internal wiring within the arm or the external cable? As an external cable, Cardas Golden Cross is nice (well, I use it so I would think that). Smooth, slightly warm and grain free..
Internally, the issue is less the sound of a few inches of wire, than any obstruction to the bearing. Frankly, much rewiring is a menace, because the wire is either too thick or too stiff. The last thing you want to do is obstruct the bearing. That's one reason Kondo internal wiring works well, it is very thin and not at all 'springy'. Personally, I would avoid rewiring unless genuinely necessary.
As for Vdh cabling....the main onslaught against it comes from dealers, because 'upgrades' on the cable are often more profitable than the actual profit on the arm. What do you expect them to say? Which isn't to say you might not prefer another cable, but not because Vdh is a bad cable. It is fine.

I'm cardas convert . excellant immediately audible difference.

However , i ran one single piece of wire from cartridge to phono pre amp.

it was a pain up the arese doing it .

Having rewired an RB250 yesterday, with Cardas, I'd just like to say: Bollox!

Classy guy, you should speak to either Rega or SME about how many problems they come across with rewired arms. It is possible they know a thing or two about it.
In one arm of my own, rewired, I suffered from intermittent hum; it eventually turned out to be internal wiring where the insulation had broken, making occasional contact with the bearing. In another, the new wire interfered with the bias accuracy.
There are people who do it well (such as Jqhnie 7) but in general It is best avoided. My experience is with SME arms, but the issues must apply to others.

advertisement

Back