advertisement

Car remapping

richardg

Admonishtrator
Just had my 2019 BMW 220i boosted from 184bhp to 300. Its got 24000 miles on it. I'm forecasting engine failure before it reaches 100,000. Meanwhile, it's off like a stabbed rabbit. Just need to have my time with it and sell it before the big event!

I also had it converted to e85 fuel during the power remap, which is 89 cents a litre in France at the moment. Beats that old dinosaur lpg. It only cost 300 euros for that bit.

Don't forget to tell your insurer.

I'll be interested to know how much extra. I bet it would be more than insuring a stock M240i.
Agree. Please inform your insurer.
184 to 300, is that definitely right? If so that is the biggest performance gain I have ever heard of!
Unless verified on a rolling road, I kind this figure, hard to believe from a £300 remap.

I had a previous car remapped and I know the efforts they (Litchfield) went to make it valid.

I’ve had both an Octavia and a Merc remapped, both well worth it; much better power and smoothness from those engines (1.9tdi and OM651 respectively) without any detriment to economy. But these were both “stage 1” with about 40% power gain so nothing like this. Seems a lot for a remap and surely everything is going to be over-stressed (not to mention braking).

I am guessing that the engine is the same as my 22 Cooper S, the B48 BMW unit. My car has the lowest state of tune this engine comes with as far as I know, 178bhp. BMW/Mini do take this engine to over 300bhp but they beef up the internals and lower the compression ratio. The versions making up to 230-40bhp seem to have the same internals as their lower powered offerings. I think taking this engine up to 300bhp without modifications is clearly risky and will the transmission handle the extra power? Good luck and it does sound like fun but take care.

I’ve had both an Octavia and a Merc remapped, both well worth it; much better power and smoothness from those engines (1.9tdi and OM651 respectively) without any detriment to economy. But these were both “stage 1” with about 40% power gain so nothing like this. Seems a lot for a remap and surely everything is going to be over-stressed (not to mention braking).
Yes, brakes need to be up to the task, but the reality is that on the UK s overcrowded camera lined roads you can't use a fraction of it. Modern brakes, on anything better than a basic shopper, are so powerful and fade resistant that unless you want to lose your licence you'll never use half their capabilities.

Doesn’t remapping knock the speedometer out of kilter?
I used to fancy remapping but never got around to it. Those days are gone now.

There was a lad running down round town yesterday with a car mapped to pop and bang. The sound was carrying a long way across town.

I don't understand why they do it other than to attract attention. Before long he'll attract the attention of Police Scotland. He also had weird number plates of doubtful legality.

There was a lad running down round town yesterday with a car mapped to pop and bang. The sound was carrying a long way across town.

I don't understand why they do it other than to attract attention. Before long he'll attract the attention of Police Scotland. He also had weird number plates of doubtful legality.
Because he wants to attract attention. If the police have nothing better to do, they'll give him a vehicle defect notification that will cost him a tenner at an MoT station when he's turned off the pops and bangs, or a ticket for his plate. Which he'll dine out on for weeks.

I am guessing that the engine is the same as my 22 Cooper S, the B48 BMW unit. My car has the lowest state of tune this engine comes with as far as I know, 178bhp. BMW/Mini do take this engine to over 300bhp but they beef up the internals and lower the compression ratio. The versions making up to 230-40bhp seem to have the same internals as their lower powered offerings. I think taking this engine up to 300bhp without modifications is clearly risky and will the transmission handle the extra power? Good luck and it does sound like fun but take care.
Yes it is the B48....with higher compression and weaker pistons than the higher powered versions. To be honest I have started driving like a grandad in recent years and only really want the power to get in the outside lane gaps quickly and away from the truck traffic.

Yes it is the B48....with higher compression and weaker pistons than the higher powered versions. To be honest I have started driving like a grandad in recent years and only really want the power to get in the outside lane gaps quickly and away from the truck traffic.
It should manage that OK....

I’d put a fiver on the remap giving somewhere around the usual 30% power increase, so about 240bhp.

300bhp, if possible with just a remap, would be reckless, and something would let go fairly soon.
i would like to think so too. i went in asking for stage 1 which is normally no more than 250bhp. when i picked it up, he said there were good maps for 300bhp so he did that instead. i winced a bit but could not say no, put the lower powered map in.

advertisement

Back