advertisement

Car Insurance

same for motor cycle insurance, gone up from £110 to £350 tft, The only place I can get cheap insurance, if I keep the bike in the back of beyond where the chance of theft is .... low

Most of my insurance policies have risen this year, just renewed my PL insurance yesterday with a different company but that was only up buttons relatively although a poorer or inferior policy however I ended up paying about £90 more as I added on excess insurance and tax investigation insurance too. House policies all up marginally and my wife’s car insurance and my van insurance all up a bit but nothing like my son’s car insurance which was about 30% more expensive this year, he’s never been in an accident (except recently which isn’t his fault) lives in a decent area and works and he’s not exactly a young driver with no experience.

Anyone not buying car insurance is nuts btw the police number plate recognition system automatically flags up un insured drivers/cars as far as I’m aware, the woman who ran into my son’s car clearly thought he was an uninsured driver and tried to get him done with the police.

Yes, I thought ANPR checked for uninsured vehicles. Are these chancers maybe declaring them SORN?

I was caught out a few years ago because I had a car written off due to being beyond economic repair. I sent the V5 slip off to Tesco insurance when it was collected for scrap and they failed to notify DVLA and the motor insurance bureau who then started writing to me about my uninsured car, which I didn't actually own any more.

My multi car renewal arrived yesterday.

VW Arteon and BMW Z4.

Last year £470
Renewal £790

Currently with LV.

I'm staggered.

Hi, a couple of guys at work, were talking about their renewal, car insurance, and for both of them it's gone up by about £150, and that's after trawling the sites,
Mine comes up late in February, got a quote today, £425, will have to do some more homework, Nissan juke 16 plate, high spec, only 3000, miles a year, full comp, no claims protected, 17 years no claims,
As soon as i got on the site there was a small note, saying insurance has gone up by 21%, due to unforeseen matters,
Is the CAR industry, insurance wise, just about cars, or do the company's take into account house insurance, with all the floods, and other insurance items,
or is it the price of electric cars, and car prices in general,
Esentially everybody's policy gets loaded.....
Electric cars can cost an astronomical amount to repair.......
Parts delays cause cars to be stuck in workshops and customers longer in courtesy cars...
Also some bodyshops have very keen assessors so a little job gets turned into a big job,the bodyshop lads all work on hours and bonus so they rush stuff through,cars come back for remedial work ......
Plus their will be confidential liabilities,that are settled out of court but create huge on going bills...
All these things are ongoing and then they have to turn a profit...

My multicar insurance has gone through the roof....
Hear of lots of people giving up driving,there are tons of cameras and charges all over the place....
Can see us all being charged per mile eventually....

Well the freedom to travel was never intended for the plebs anyway, time they were priced off the roads.

I've found Saga pretty decent for old duffers. AA are the Dick Turpins of the game - they put up your policy cost on each renewal and you have to bargain it down with the operatives. I gave up.

In the, not so great area, my parents live in, quite a few are uninsured.

I know this for a fact.

Oh indeed, the penalties are a joke although APNR has made it trickier to avoid being fingered. It’s actually cost effective, there is little deterrent. The fines usually come in under the premium levels.

My previous flippant comment was not just aimed at insurance, the list of people with their hands in motorist’s pockets is endless and the pretence at justifications are not even bothered with.

I've found Saga pretty decent for old duffers. AA are the Dick Turpins of the game - they put up your policy cost on each renewal and you have to bargain it down with the operatives. I gave up.

Re-AA yes tedious in the extreme, but it goes for just about any renewable cost these days. They all bank on the inertia of enough people.

interesting

Car insurance quotes were a third more expensive in some areas of England with the biggest minority ethnicity populations, BBC Verify has found.
We collected thousands of quotes based on identical driver information, but with different addresses.
Areas with a high number of people from ethnic minorities saw higher prices, even when road accident and crime levels were similar.
The insurance industry body said ethnicity was not a factor in pricing.
But Citizens Advice said the findings added to evidence of an "ethnicity penalty".

Saw that on BBC news this morning @hifinutt

Mine has gone up significantly and I don't live in an ethnic area!

I perish the thought of I lived in Sandwell!!

I've found Saga pretty decent for old duffers. AA are the Dick Turpins of the game -
Prior to the 'new punter discout' being scrapped, I alternated between Saga and AA for many years. When one hiked their renewal cost, I switched to t'other. However, last November Saga hiked mine up so much (100% +/-) so (after advice here) went to a broker (Howdens) and got the same cover via them from Zurich at a saving of £140. Considering the broker fee was £55, that was good, but Saga are only an agent/broker anyway.

Multi car last year with my Z4 and Arteon, was £470.

Renewal just in at £790.

With LV
If you give them a ring they might halve that increase.

If they do that, you can then ask them why the increase is still more than 3 times the rate of inflation.

If you give them a ring they might halve that increase.

If they do that, you can then ask them why the increase is still more than 3 times the rate of inflation.
Now down to £720.

Increase due to increased costs of labour and parts. She said she didn't really know and was reading from an LV script!

All other multi car quotes are more so I'm wondering if I don't go multi car and go separately instead.

The cost of the claims for electric cars is being pushed onto us, some companies now won't insure electric cars as getting parts takes so long if they have a courtesy car or are not at fault it is costing thousands extras for each claim in rentals , not to mention the batteries so much so that they just right the car off as it works out cheaper. The insurance companies have paid out so much on claims they now have to recoup some of their outlay. There are other factors at work as well , one things for sure and that's the fact it won't be going back down they don't want you to drive simple fact.

Saw that on BBC news this morning @hifinutt

Mine has gone up significantly and I don't live in an ethnic area!

I perish the thought of I lived in Sandwell!!
its not surprsing when some parts of bordesley green have a high rate of unisured cars , very high bame area . i in 3 in 2011 and probably way higher . police can do nothing about it unless caught driving .

its not surprsing when some parts of bordesley green have a high rate of unisured cars , very high bame area . i in 3 in 2011 and probably way higher . police can do nothing about it unless caught driving .
I think they can now actually, wasn't there a law change that says that any car has to be insured to be parked on the road? Obviously you can SORN if you have a driveway. However I'd imagine that the easiest way to deal with this if you are a crim is just to look around until you find a car of the same make and colour. Look on "Tax my car", if it's taxed then the chances are it is also insured and MoTd. Clone the plates (not every plate manufacturer requires a V5, most will make up "show plates") and off you go. Matey gets any tickets, it's only a problem if you are stopped or have an accident.

no i raised it twice with police commissioner .They can do nothing unless witnessed driving . we have lots of cars parked with no insurance , one outside my neighbours with no insurance been there for 3 months now with no insurance . police looked at it twice but cant do anything as its taxed and mot but no insurance . i regularly liase with our streetwatch team . we have a certain month long event coming up in march 10th and we need as many parking spaces as possible . Its the blight of our community with dealers and others leaving untaxed , uninsured cars in the street preventing the many thousands of people using the road to not have a space to park

Last edited:

advertisement

Back