advertisement

Car insurance and private plate.

Rodrat

pfm Member
If you insure a car on a private plate but then put it back on it’s original plate (via DVLA) is the insurance void or is does it not matter in the short term given it has the same VIN and all other identification?

If you insure a car on a private plate but then put it back on it’s original plate (via DVLA) is the insurance void or is does it not matter in the short term given it has the same VIN and all other identification?
You have to notify the insurance company, usually pay an Admin fee.

I think you will have to be issued with new documents (insurance certificate etc.) given that the registration number on the car will no longer match what it says on the paperwork. You might have no insurance cover at all until they have been informed.

Ed: the "essentials" can be done immediately over the phone, you will be covered as long as they know and agree.

I understand that, peculiar circumstances, bought a used car with a private plate which the owner was keeping. I insured it on the private plate so I could drive it home. He then transferred it back to the original plate whilst I was on the way to collect it. I didn’t want to pay and admin fee as I was going to put my private plate on it which would have incurred two changes and two admin fees. So the question is that does the reg number solely determine what is insured?

What a palava, and a good reason to never have a personalised plate. You need to call your insurer, only they can answer this.

Max fine for driving with the wrong number plates displayed is £1K, likely fine is £100 apparently. Call your insurer asap and sort it out, if you don’t want to pay 2 admin fees - I’d check to make sure they will hit you at the start of a policy, I’d not drive the car on the normal plates.

every time I've changed plates, I tell the ins comp immediately. Some charge an admin fee some don't. Adrian Flux did £35 for every change (it might have £25, I can't remember). Direct Line didn't charge at all, completed online in less than a minute.

advertisement

Back