advertisement

Car - going electric

I suppose I am a bit wary of commercial operations with links to product sales being always independent. After all we often have issues with hifi mags giving glowing reviews to those who advertise with them. However take your point.
Why are your posts always bolded?

Are you going out of your way to add the /B in the square brackets?

A nasty car fire in Cambridgeshire. I wonder if an EV was involved?

1_IMG_2143.jpg

On your original question, we use a FIAT 500 electric as our only car. It's a fantastic machine, really well built, lots of tech stuff (including Level 2 automated cruise control), and it's quiet with the kind of off-the-line acceleration you can't get in an petrol car under 300 bhp. Too small for your brief, though, but I'm 6'3" and it's not too small for me. If you don't need rear passengers and can work with a real-world range of 150 miles, it could be worth a look.. there are some 3-year-old models out there now at good prices.
It’s definitely on our short list. Looks like a lot of fun

It's not funny. A work colleague was in a very similar accident. Let's put it like this, at least he was a bit happy he didn't have his young kid in the car when filling up.
We know it's not funny. SPT is making the point that whenever there is a car fire these days the first question, usually from someone with an anti EV stance is "was it an electric car?" In This case, given that the fire appears to be at the pumps rather than the chargers, is "probably not" .

visited my local GPO depot today , impressed to see many many vans all hooked up to their chargers . must have cost a lot of money !! only trouble is i understand when the afternoon shift pick up the vans sometimes not enough charge to put heating on and deliver parcels which is a pitb !!

visited my local GPO depot today , impressed to see many many vans all hooked up to their chargers . must have cost a lot of money !! only trouble is i understand when the afternoon shift pick up the vans sometimes not enough charge to put heating on and deliver parcels which is a pitb !!
A mate of mine runs a gardening business, he's thinking about an EV van next time. He needs a van to transport all the kit and the clippings etc, but his trips are generally local. Even going out to suppliers is only say 30-40 miles from home so range isn't a problem even if he is fully loaded coming back and the thing is a bit thirsty.

Either someone's specced the wrong van or the supply isn't adequate; we're getting a lot of choice in small, two pallet, 150 mile range vans now.

It's a perfect niche for them, usually get a substantial portion of recharge in 30 minutes but it does take a good supply to feed half a dozen at once.

We know it's not funny. SPT is making the point that whenever there is a car fire these days the first question, usually from someone with an anti EV stance is "was it an electric car?" In This case, given that the fire appears to be at the pumps rather than the chargers, is "probably not" .

That was my point too but maybe I was being too subtle.

Either someone's specced the wrong van or the supply isn't adequate; we're getting a lot of choice in small, two pallet, 150 mile range vans now.

It's a perfect niche for them, usually get a substantial portion of recharge in 30 minutes but it does take a good supply to feed half a dozen at once.
yes good point . i think about 100 mile range still left for afternoon shift but they are out from about 2pm to 7.30pm in wet and cold doing about 70-80 parcel drops and the range anxiety can kick in as heater drains the power and you either freeze or keep warm and get a bollocking for `fails` . [ non delivered parcels ] and they get a bollocking an awful lot on some cases

Given your criteria, a late BMW i3 will be in the £15-20K range. Don’t bother with the REX, a full BEV is fine. DC fast charge @50KW is fast enough when required. I charge once a week or thereabouts at home. Solar and batteries going in next week, so will leverage that for charging at home. Worst case, £3.15 per charge overnight via Octopus.

I3S suspension is v firm, so maybe a regular non S would suit? My logic is, well proven tech, all the kinks sorted out by the early adopters.

Honestly, the anti EV fretting people do is getting dull. Buy the right car for your driving needs and it will be fine.
Need more space, used Polestar is maybe worth considering. Great used deals on most EVs due to the press creating EV fear.

I’ve not experienced EV insurance being as high as suggested. I3S was £250 fully comp in year one, then put on 2 car policy in November where cost for both are ~£600. Tesla seem to have had a parts / authorised dealer repair issue, but AFAIK it’s Tesla only

I’ve not experienced EV insurance being as high as suggested. I3S was £250 fully comp in year one, then put on 2 car policy in November where cost for both are ~£600. Tesla seem to have had a parts / authorised dealer repair issue, but AFAIK it’s Tesla only
I suspect BYD and anyone without a decent existing dealer network for repairs will suffer similar insurance woes to Tesla. But there are plenty of other options out there.

BYD are using a traditional dealership model and parts support, so access and repairs should be better than Tesla which still insists that fixed servicing infrastructure is unnecessary cost.

Given your criteria, a late BMW i3 will be in the £15-20K range. Don’t bother with the REX, a full BEV is fine. DC fast charge @50KW is fast enough when required. I charge once a week or thereabouts at home. Solar and batteries going in next week, so will leverage that for charging at home. Worst case, £3.15 per charge overnight via Octopus.

I3S suspension is v firm, so maybe a regular non S would suit? My logic is, well proven tech, all the kinks sorted out by the early adopters.

Honestly, the anti EV fretting people do is getting dull. Buy the right car for your driving needs and it will be fine.
Need more space, used Polestar is maybe worth considering. Great used deals on most EVs due to the press creating EV fear.

FWIW, I've been running a 2107 Zoe (so old NCAP 5) from new and had solar panels fitted a couple of years ago. It's a 3.5kW solar system, the largest allowed at the time without jumping through hoops with the NDO.

Charging the car from the solar system is a non-starter - a 7 kW charger has to draw from the grid and sucks all the solar energy so the house battery doesn't charge, charging from a Granny cable is 30 h and the sun don't shine for that long and stops the house battery charging.

In the end I fitted a water diverter so once the house battery is charged I get free hot water. I charge the car overnight on Octopus's cheap rate.

In the summer, my gas boiler is off and my electricity bill is £4 a week for the overnight, once a week Zoe charge in the wee small hours.

I don't imagine the solar system will pay for itself anytime soon but am quite happy with the Zoe for my work commute across the Mersey and pottering around town. (I have a "proper" BMW528i, 3 L normally aspirated straight 6 for longer trips and being naughty. :)

The myenergi Zappi does match charging rates to available spare solar but presumably that would mean replacing your existing charger.

Yes, I lusted after a Zappi but when I thought about it (1) that will only give a trickle charge from my 3.6 kW solar system so (2) the car would need to be plugged in all day, which it can't be since I don't work from home.

Glad to hear though that it works for you.

advertisement

Back