advertisement

Car buying; does anyone enjoy it?

You
what are alloy wheels for

Copilot

Alloy wheels are wheels made from a blend of aluminum or magnesium alloys rather than pure metals like steel.
I've lost faith on Copilot already, because steel is by definition an alloy of iron and other materials. It is far from pure. Iron may be, steel never is.

I think mine has mag wheels, they have "Mg" stamped on the inner rim. They are also split rim and screwed together, no problems so far touch wood. I dare say they cost about the same as a house to replace.

house in Leeds or The Greatest London?

I've lost faith on Copilot already, because steel is by definition an alloy of iron and other materials. It is far from pure. Iron may be, steel never is.
I always wonder if people make these sorts of comments because they think that it makes them look smart.

I just had a read up. Yes, generally they're lighter and of course that's less unsprung weight, which is good. They can look superb (although I have a soft spot for the old Merc hub caps!)

They're dearer and can crack are the downsides. Never lost one that way though.
…and they're a pain in the bum to clean. Bring back steel wheels I say!

Anyone wants a nice low mile RAV4,get in touch as mine is available. 71K miles excellent condition…..more details available (it’s on Autotrader) pics etc email. I’m getting a friends car soon.
Chris in Bristol

Anyone wants a nice low mile RAV4,get in touch as mine is available. 71K miles excellent condition…..more details available (it’s on Autotrader) pics etc email. I’m getting a friends car soon.
Chris in Bristol
That's a good workhorse, keep servicing that and it will do the same mileage again without incident.
I’d love to have enough money to go to Rennesport & say “build me this”. I’d enjoy that.
Hmm, wouldn't we all. Rather a millionaire 's playground, that one. Were I a millionaire, I'm not sure that would be the first thing on the list.

The last car I had with those was made in 1985. As cars have become bigger, it stands to reason their wheels would too.
Sure. But no passenger car this side of a 2 tonne SUV needs the massive 18" alloys that are the norm. Even if it is fitted with brake discs like dustbin lids and 6 pot calipers. Which it doesn't need either, unless your idea of driving is a series of 0-100-0 sprints on an airfield.

Screenshot-20240420-101727-Google.jpg

Having a large space around the discs allows the discs to be kept cool enough to work at their optimum.

Here you go, challenge: when did you last suffer brake fade in a road car? A standard road car, being driven on the road?

Sure. But no passenger car this side of a 2 tonne SUV needs the massive 18" alloys that are the norm. Even if it is fitted with brake discs like dustbin lids and 6 pot calipers. Which it doesn't need either, unless your idea of driving is a series of 0-100-0 sprints on an airfield.
On a Merc Facebook forum the other day, this (presumably) child came posted because he's replaced his wheels (presumably 18") with 20s and was wondering why they were snagging once down from the jack.

I don't get why big wheels are felt to be so attractive.

advertisement

Back