advertisement

Car buying; does anyone enjoy it?

If I had a 5 year old Polo GTi and enjoyed driving it I'd just get it serviced, ensure by breakdown insurance was up to date and drive the wheels off it. It's not going to break. It's less likely to break now than it was when it was new because the "it's been wrongly assembled or with dud parts" faults have been fixed. What mileage has it, 50k? You can double that without incident if you keep the servicing up to date. If it needs a tidy up and a bit of paint here and there, have it done. It's a couple of tanks of fuel. Around 10 years/100k you can expect brake discs all round and possibly a clutch, and the service and MoT will be flagging up suspension bushes etc. But all that stuff is for dirt cheap. Between 50 and 100k most cars these days don't need anything beyond service. It's a sweet spot and one I'd like to stay in except that I'm too tight and I just keep the things after 100k and pay the occasional bill.

(Says the man who is in a 15 year old, 203k mile Audi A5, doing 2500 miles a month. Now that *is* being a bit adventurous and or ambitious, but we'll see. It's just had a repair and been given a clean bill of health.)
^ This.

I used to enjoy it, when discounts were real and expected. It was a game with rules. 10% off and some free mats. Now?
The market is stupid, dealers greedy, the poor are poorer and the rich don't understand the game.
It's not fun and it's best simply thought out online to get the best VFM you can. Holidays are more fun.
so is eating grit.

Just extend the warranty.

I'll look into extending the warranty for her.

I think know what the warranty issue is, and it's tied up with having one car. Despite her kids being adults in secure jobs and stable homes she can't bear the idea of not being able to drive to see them any time they need her.

A car with a warranty gives some assurance that the car itself or a replacement will do that.

I remember driving with her through the night to see her mum when her dad died suddenly. I think it left a mark.

I think know what the warranty issue is, and it's tied up with having one car. Despite her kids being adults in secure jobs and stable homes she can't bear the idea of not being able to drive to see them any time they need her.

A car with a warranty gives some assurance that the car itself or a replacement will do that.

I remember driving with her through the night to see her mum when her dad died suddenly. I think it left a mark.
Just check the small print to ensure you know what any after market warranty covers. I think they can vary a bit?

Last year my daughter was changing her car and she had shortlisted a Discovery and a Merc GLB. Her snd husband drive to the local JLR dealership. Whist he was parking she went in and stared looking at the Discovery in the showroom. Several salesmen were sitting around and one made the crack that's a big car for a little lady’ needless to say she walked out. Drove to her local Mercedes dealer and experienced very positive treatment. Guess what she bought? The JLR dealership was where I bought my car, wont be buying from them next time.

Very dissapointing to hear that ..when we bought my wifes vw the male salesman kept looking at me and talking ...even though it was for my wife .!

"Hello, is that Europcar Hertz Rentashed? Good, yes I need a car please. Yes, delivered to me here, immediate ly please." Bingo. That s not going to take any longer than "Hello VW, the car's broken down, when can you collect and deliver a courtesy car?" After all, if the local dealer has the workshop full and the courtesy cars out, they might be stuck for the best part of a day.
But the chances of this happening to a 5 year old 50k mile car are sod-all. You're more likely to be sidelined by a road accident. If that happens nobody is coming out with a courtesy car, warranty or no.

"Hello, is that Europcar Hertz Rentashed? Good, yes I need a car please. Yes, delivered to me here, immediate ly please." Bingo. That s not going to take any longer than "Hello VW, the car's broken down, when can you collect and deliver a courtesy car?" After all, if the local dealer has the workshop full and the courtesy cars out, they might be stuck for the best part of a day.
But the chances of this happening to a 5 year old 50k mile car are sod-all. You're more likely to be sidelined by a road accident. If that happens nobody is coming out with a courtesy car, warranty or no.
We could give this a try, if it works i think she might be reassured . Then again it's not necessarily an issue that's amenable to reason. We were in Tenerife in February and Italy last month. It would take more than a car rental to fix that journey home.

Last edited:
I love driving and most of the process of choosing a new car.

That said, car dealers for the most part are not much fun and I find their skills at spotting real intent to purchase very variable. I have visited showrooms for a browse and for some reason got the attention of the salesman and their manager following me around when I really am not in buying position. Likewise I have had a complete brush off (Audi and Volvo) when I have been looking seriously to purchase. I had a shocker with Alfa a few years back as well. Our local BMW dealer has always been decent hence we keep using them.

I subscribe to the "inform yourself" strategy. Research and read reviews from as wide a range of sources you can. Test drive several cars and if buying second hand, drive several different versions of the car you want to ensure you know what is specific to the car model and not just that particular one.
My sentiments exactly.

The last time I was seriously shopping for a new car about 12 years ago, I had shorted listed an Audi A4/S4 Avant and BMW 3 Touring. When I visited the Audi dealership, I could barely get any attention. The sales guys were far too busy talking amongst themselves or chatting up their receptionist. Eventually, when they saw me getting in and out of their show cars and opening the boot/trunk and what not, I got their attention. It didn't last very long though when I asked if I could have an Avant with manual transmission. They suggested I should get with the times and appreciate the superiority of DCT. So I left.

The reception at the BMW dealership was very different. I was allowed to take several variants home overnight for an extended trial. Although they didn't have any MT models for demo, I was assured BMW has that option. So I ordered an F31 328i with 6MT and prepared to wait four months for my production/shipping slot. In the meantime, the dealership asked if I wanted to spend a day with M-cars around a racetrack. They had one space to spare. It was an eye-opening experience driving the M135i, M3, M5, and M6 fast(ish). That's when I realised I really wanted a six under the bonnet of my new car, and promptly upgraded my order to the full-fat 335i (still with 6MT).

11 years later, I have zero regrets with my choice, which I still enjoy driving and admiring.

We could give this a try, if it works i think she might be reassured . Then again it's not necessarily an issue that's amenable to reason. We were in Tenerife in February and Italy last month. It would take more than a car rental to fix that journey home.
You're absolutely right, these decisions don't come down to reason. My mother won't ever, ever, ever ignore a telephone. Middle of a meal, no object. Because once, twice in her life it has been vital. Reason says that you let the answering machine take it and if it's vital they will ring again in 2 minutes, or they'll ring a mobile. But no, it might be important. I keep saying that when it gets to that awful day and she breathes her last I'll save her simply by ringing the phone. She'll answer it, dying or not.

This. If it's the warranty expiring that has the OP's wife bothered, get a quote for extending the warranty. Cheaper than the hit on depreciation, or the costs of a new car.

Especially if the car still hits the sweet spot and few of the current offerings do.
It'll cost me significantly more money to replace my 11 year-old car with an equivalent new one than it is to keep it serviced and maintained.

Besides, I have everything I want (e.g. manual gearbox, head-up display, heated seats, fabulous audio etc.) and none of anything I detest (e.g. touch screens, adaptive cruise, driver-interventions such as lane keeping etc.)

Last year my daughter was changing her car and she had shortlisted a Discovery and a Merc GLB. Her snd husband drive to the local JLR dealership. Whist he was parking she went in and stared looking at the Discovery in the showroom. Several salesmen were sitting around and one made the crack that's a big car for a little lady’ needless to say she walked out. Drove to her local Mercedes dealer and experienced very positive treatment. Guess what she bought? The JLR dealership was where I bought my car, wont be buying from them next time.
Very rude, what century did they live in?

I got a couple of rude remarks, not on me, but on the car I wanted to trade in. Like when I had an MX5 and looked seriously into an MR2 spyder, a sales guy passed by (not the one I was negotiating with, but another one, just strolling by). Looking over his nose: 'Oh you have a Mazada.' No deal at that place.

A much nicer one. At a quite large Ford dealer. Five or six years earlier I had bought a Focus from that place that I didn't have any more. 'Hmm..' the dealer opened. 'You bought a Focus, five or six years ago, was it?' We immediately got on a good foot.

It's been a while but I rather enjoyed the buying new process. Last one was a Fiesta that I thoroughly enjoyed. The process on that one was a bit of cheat as the sales manager is a close friend and it was the fourth car members of the family had purchased from him.

Many years ago, back in the UK, I was on the VW or Toyota hunt but found those dealers very aloof, even dismissive. Your loss sonny-jim, another Ford it is then!

My approach was to know which models I wanted before entering the showrooms i.e. any compromise to the features list was already decided or factored in as an option.

It's the second hand market I find a total PITA, absolute mine field.

Towards the end of year will be time for a new scooter ( essential here ), handing the old one down to a family member and hopefully a small capacity (400cc ish) "proper" bike.

A car is not on the wanted list for now.

Buying a new car's generally a nice experience, but so much depends primarily on the salesperson you deal with, then on the dealer. Maye we've been fortunate, but the last few car purchases have been pretty good. A few years ago we bought a new Honda CR-V from the Ipswich dealers and were impressed by them. So when recently I fancied a new Honda Civic I went back to them. Different salesman, but again, an excellent experience.

For a while, the salesman at the local Audi dealers was very good, no bullsh*t, so we bought a few Audis from him until the fella got promoted & moved to another branch. We tried the Audi dealer again but the bloke we tried to deal with was a nightmare. A similar situation with the BMW dealer - excellent salesperson (also being an attractive young lady held no sway with me; no sir!) who moved on & then they were cr*p.

I've bought two Porsches from Harbour Cars in Chichester, who were absolutely top notch. On my first long journey down there, I happened to mention the insulated mug I'd brought my coffee in for the trip was useless. A few months later, on my birthday, an official Porsche travelling mug turned up, with a note wishing me happy birthday from all at Harbour Cars.

Bought a new RAV recently. Not too painful...

1) Decide what you want to test drive. Ring the dealer(s) to arrange.
2) I tested 2 models and decided the base model was nicer to drive that the GR top spec one.
2a) Sit through the boring bit where the dealer does a quote and fetches the beancounter to tell you it's an amazing deal.
2b) Exit the dealership ASAP.
3) Go on CarWOW and feed in what you want.
4) When the offers come in, choose the one you want and make contact. Check all the details, leave a deposit and agree collection details. 90% of the paperwork was by email.

I got a good trade-in and £5K off list price doing this. No need to negotiate. Had to travel to pick the car up, but we had a night away and made it a mini-break.

In contrast, many years ago, we went into a Honda dealer with a giant sticker on the window stating "All Cars at Cost + £100".
We asked how much a brand new Civic was and were met with a barrage of questions. We asked again, they wouldn't tell us. So I asked what the cost price was and said I didn't mind adding £100 to that myself. Long story short: they never told us the price of the car!

Been down the dealership today , lookers told me it had closed which i was quite upset about as used them for years . Turns out stellantis has taken them over and they are still there thank goodness

Currently looking here too.

Our 15 yr Diesel Golf is on 150k miles snd we have to drive in that Ulez quite a lot - it’s got problems with the heating and coolant use so very much at the is it worth it time.

Had experience of Honda, Lexus, Skoda, VW and Audi dealers - some good, some meh.

It’s certainly a trying experience snd I quite like Cars.

Currently at the stage where we either
1 - run the Golf into the ground
2 - by something ULEZ compliant but doesn’t cost a huge amount 2ndhand
3 - buy something nice and new with a good warranty cos we’re worth it and fuggedabahtdit

Proper paralysis by analysis currently :(

Currently looking here too.

Our 15 yr Diesel Golf is on 150k miles snd we have to drive in that Ulez quite a lot - it’s got problems with the heating and coolant use so very much at the is it worth it time.

Had experience of Honda, Lexus, Skoda, VW and Audi dealers - some good, some meh.

It’s certainly a trying experience snd I quite like Cars.

Currently at the stage where we either
1 - run the Golf into the ground
2 - by something ULEZ compliant but doesn’t cost a huge amount 2ndhand
3 - buy something nice and new with a good warranty cos we’re worth it and fuggedabahtdit

Proper paralysis by analysis currently :(
My experience says that 15 years and 150k is where it's time to start looking at them critically. Heating and coolant issues suggests head gasket, on a diesel this is Trouble. As it doesn't meet your needs re ULEZ this would nudge me towards trade in and move on. Option 1 might be about to happen fairly soon, a HG on a diesel is a pig of a job to get right.

advertisement

Back