advertisement

Capacitance required on AToc9 XML

As I remember from having owned an OC9, the package included frequency measurement shows a steady rise from 15kHz-ish at an amount of around 3-4 dBs.

I have never tried the following, but many people complain about how bright the cart sounds:

I think a complementary lowpass filter consisting of a simple RC would help here. With an R of 100 ohms in series followed by a capacitor to ground between 50 and 100nF one would be in the ballpark, if I am not mistaken.

The OC9 is a very good cart, but to get it to sound substantial is a feat for many owners, judging from forum posts.

I found a photo of the chart, the rise starts already at 5kHz. Still, the values suggested above should be valid, capacitance checked by ear and to taste.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d0l0u0tpcfcpvk/WIN_20191110_12_41_30_Pro.jpg?dl=0

WIN_20191110_12_41_30_Pro.jpg

How about an inductance of 0.5 to 1 mH with a series resistance of 1 ohm or less - assuming an MC amplifier input of 100 ohms. A speaker coil would do, I think.

I for one love that sort of sound from LP, on one condition: that it does not emphasize vinyl noise too much.
I find ML tips an ideal compromise on an AT.
I love bright records, like Brothers In Arms. It’s even brighter than the admittedly poor first edition CD I have.

advertisement

Back