advertisement

cans for an iPod

Thanks Joe, you've just cost me £45. I've been meaning to sort out a half decent set of 'phones for occasional travel use so lets see how these AKG 450s fair:)

Thanks, dudes -- and sorry, Mr. beers, for costing you 45 squid.

I'll see what I can source locally. My hi-fi guy just started to carry AKG and I think he stocks the 450s, as well as a few others at the cheaper end of the line.

As for the others -- hmmm, not sure. Even if I someone stocks them locally the other shops in town are buy-hermetically-sealed-item-off-pegboard variety, so even a quick dem amidst the annoying boomboxes and wall of super-saturated LCD and plasma TVs is unlikely.

Joe

P.S. Anyone looking for a set of white ear buds? Owned by a pfm moderator and Star Trek guru. Lightly used, heavy chewed (the earbuds, not the former owner).

I use Senn CX300s, they replaced a pair of (much more exotic/expensive) Shure E2c.
They offer great sound isolation and have an open midrange and punchy bass. They also fit perfectly in my ears due to the range of soft rubber buds supplied.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EZYMF4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

+1. I have a pair of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-II-Precision-Isolating-Ear-canal/dp/B001EZYMF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342041836&sr=8-1

If buying these, buy directly off Amazon or a reputable big name store as there a many counterfeits on the market. Do not buy off fleabay.

I previously had the cx300 eco and they were also good but they didn't last.

Possibly no good for running, not as I do. They can pick up sound from the cable movement, otherwise for static listening they are superb and comfortable.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Joe, AKGs arrived an hour ago. Exactly what I was after, pfm to the rescue:)

However, I had the special limited edition, kicked all the way here from the factory to my door in it's original box version courtesy of DPD. In fact I think my set may have been used in the penalty shoot out at the recent Euros so the box could have some value on ebay maybe.

I might drop AKG a note to suggest that they put them in the protective case, as opposed to next to it, in the packaging.

Anyway, sound very good and are comfy.

Update: I haven't bought anything yet, but I had a listen to a few sub-$100 in-ear and on-ear cans at my local hi-fi guy.

To each his own, but in my opinion the Grado SR60i cans om-non-nommed everything else at the price.

I have ordered a pair, as all the hi-fi guy had in stock were his very worn demo cans.

Joe

Was going to suggest Klisch S4's as cheap IEM's, but as you've already ordered, have another Kitty pic instead.

12579.jpg

Here, kitty kitty.

< Ouch argh ahhhhhhhhhhhh >

Medic!

Joe

Isn't it "rubbish in, rubbish out" with MP3 players - including iPod? 128kb is never going to sound much good. Now if you are talking FLAC...

muggo,

It's portable audio. I'm not looking for the ultimate in fidelity.

That said, the Grado 60i cans I tried with the iPod where considerably better to me than the AKG 518s, and either of those were better than the white ear buds before the cat reverse engineered them. Good cans do make a difference, even at lower bit rates.

(And, currently, any working headphones / ear buds are better than the ones the cat reverse engineered.)

Joe

Isn't it "rubbish in, rubbish out" with MP3 players - including iPod? 128kb is never going to sound much good. Now if you are talking FLAC...

Agreed, but nothing is forcing you to use low-bitrate, e.g. my iPhone is full of Apple Lossless and 320kbs AAC. I've got the 64GB model and that holds about 350-400 albums in a mixture of these formats, which is more than enough to provide a nice variety of music for travelling IMO. iPods can be had in far higher capacities too.

Is no one a user or fan of the Grado SR60i?

They are not the best cans I've ever heard, but for ~$80 Cdn they're an astonishingly good bargain.

Joe

I use AKG IP2 in ear monitors, these are pro audio in ears and have a similar character to the Senn CX300 but with more of an even or flat frequency response rather than the Senn's more 'smile' curve. They're my 'go to' earphones as they sound good, they're relatively inexpensive, well built, the cord doesn't tangle easily and no problem with microphonics.

For over the ears, the ATH-M50 headphones are terrific and are sensitive/low impedanced enough to use with an iPod. These are also pro studio monitors and sound similar to the Dre Beat Studios and less than half the price. They have almost as much bass as the Dres but have greater clarity all around. Not that much of a soundstage as they're closed backs but not bad. They have good isolation and most importantly can carry a tune!

Hi Joe

I am a fan of Grados and have used a pair of 80i's a lot with my iPod. The 60i's are great for the price too. However, depending on where you are listening,you may have issues since they are open backed and leak a lot of sound. Also, I don't find the Grados to clamp enough when out and about so can fall off easily.

If, like me, you love what the Grados do, and sound leakage is not a problem, I recommend a pair of iGrados which use the same drivers as the 60i's

I still need a pair of closed back phones for commuting though, something I have not found yet so am still using the original Apple jobbies on the train.

Julian

Is no one a user or fan of the Grado SR60i?

They are not the best cans I've ever heard, but for ~ Cdn they're an astonishingly good bargain.

Joe

I've gone through a few different Grado models over the years. Ended up concluding that the treble spike and lack of low bass, and the lack of sound stage just made them too fatiguing for me. Very fun and energetic in short bursts though.

My ear bashers are Sure SE530's. Great detail, but can be a pain to fit in ear correctly. If they aren't properly in there's no real bass. Having said that, when they are in correctly the sound pretty good with my new Samsung Galaxy S 5.0 media player. I much prefer the sound from the Galaxy (more airy and musical) compared to my itouch. The Galaxy also plays FLAC files which is really nice.

Sky,

I've gone through a few different Grado models over the years. Ended up concluding that the treble spike and lack of low bass, and the lack of sound stage just made them too fatiguing for me. Very fun and energetic in short bursts though.
I heard the treble spike in the SR60is, too -- making them sound rather lively and upfront -- but in the context of a $80 set of cans the peak certainly wasn't appalling.

Joe

advertisement

Back