advertisement

Can you understand the text with background noise? test

-8.50db via speakers on my little office setup. I did have the volume set quite loud. I may have guessed a few :rolleyes:

I'm yet another who struggles hearing voices with background noise though it seems to depend on what the background noise actually is. I also have tinnitus.

Slightly OT, I remember someone posted a couple of years ago with a link to a Cambridge? University website, which demonstrated how we can understand speech in noise much better after training our brains with the speech, after having heard the two together.
I'm sure I bookmarked the site (if it still exists) but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone else remember that?

The reported numbers here correspond to my understanding of the approximate threshold from other sources. I expect the mean threshold for a set of test subjects to vary with how the test is done, but the test may reveal to the researchers something about variability between people.

I was thinking about that yesterday. Band-limited speakers or anmonalies in the frequency response may facilitate or reduce audibility.

I think you do adapt to the environment. I spent a few years as a sales rep selling stuff to hair dressing salons. At first the noise of the hair dryers made it very difficult to hear what was being said. After a few weeks I was able to filter out the noise. Mind you that was over 40 years ago. I struggle in noisy pubs and restaurants depending on the internal structure.

It might be a well known fact that audiophiles score lower than normal people because weā€™re used to such high quality sound šŸ˜‰.

advertisement

Back