advertisement

Can you tell the difference between 96/24 and 44/16 and mp3?

I had a quick look at "You'd better believe it" and the studio version is at -90dB at 17kHz, the live version manages 19kHz before it hits a -84dB noise floor
The joys of analog tape.
Some Hendrix I have looked at is far worse.

Audiophiles might be innocent (some would even use the words "naive" and "credible"), but the woo merchants who make money on them definitely aren't.

Yes, they mainly take advantage of gullible people who have no electrical knowledge, for whom electricity remains ethereal.

If someone really has a noise issue with a device decompressing (lossless) compressed FLAC, why not convert to uncompressed FLAC?

Shouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Useful metadata capabilities and no noisy number crunching?
It was fashionable at some time for people to set LMS to decompress FLAC on the fly in the server and send to the player as PCM.
But really sensitive people like Cookie Marenco can apparently tell if a file has been emailed by the sound. Others claim to be able to hear whether there was a linear psu on the device doing the ripping. There are so many worlds, apparently.

Still MP3 has problems with deep bass, no matter how high the bit rate. A consequence of the way it works

MP3 has a block of 26ms or faster
Anything below 40 Hz is not even a complete wavelength in a slow block.
I also vaguely remember a statement ( a very long time ago) that in some encoders, joint stereo modes forced deep bass to mono

MP3 has a block of 26ms or faster
Anything below 40 Hz is not even a complete wavelength in a slow block.
I also vaguely remember a statement ( a very long time ago) that in some encoders, joint stereo modes forced deep bass to mono

Some encoders might, but nothing in the mp3 standard prescribes forcing deep bass to mono (but it doesn't seem to bother vinyl where the same thing happens). A wavelength can exceed one block, as evidenced here:

The MP3 standard says very little about the encoder, allowing FhG to be very secretive about their CODEC. The LAME developers believed by testing that there was a high pass in the FhG software and were experimenting with one in LAME

CD and Tidal 320mp3 into the same DAC, no difference for me.

Only caveat being I only have about 4 CDs to test with.

advertisement

Back