advertisement

Can they not tell us beforehand? [Albert Ayler]

space cadet

dronefed and floating
Out now, Albert Ayler's Holy Ghost on vinyl!!! Triple clear vinyl set with poster, postcards, deluxe double gatefold sleeve... two more sets to follow... Argh!

And the new edition of the box has 10 discs - adding a new one one cd of Ayler playing in a US army band. Glad I haven't got round to buying one yet! I keep trying to convince myself to get one then no other cds for a month. Maybe in May... I think I need one.

Kevin

I think all the boxes has that disc, but it just wasn't really advertised for some reason. Perhaps because it's so short and isn't really Ayler... I've got it anyway and I bought my set well before Christmas from Virgin mail-order.

I have to say it doesn't strike me as in any way essential - or even desireable! Maybe his first sax lesson will turn up one day. Jazz is becoming a bit like literature, every undiscovered word or note becomes a source of intregue: poems the Brontes wrote before puberty or notes writen on manuscripts. Not that that will stop me wanting whatever does come next, mind you, whether it be another dodgy recording of Coltrane, Mingus or whoever.

Does piss you off when new formats are released, though. There should be a good upgrade/exchange policy, like the reissued Wilco "Ghost" cd - I've just used my original copy to download the new material released on the "new" version.

Capitalism, huh!

Kevin

Kevin, the Ayler box is both essential and desirable, it's fantastic stuff, not the usual desperate attempt to release everything regardless of quality. It's on Revenant after all, who only ever release absolutely amazing records, and do it properly.

I'm guessing the vinyl release will be on Table of the Elements, they've pressed vinyl versions of a lot of Revenant stuff, including the Beefheart Grow Fins set. As with that, I'm just going to have to buy both and hang the expense.

-- Ian

I have a feeling that the box is essential: just as soon as I can afford it! I was just wondering whether possession of the army disc changes the quality of anyone's life. It sounds like something that would merit 10 seconds in a documentary!

I've always avoided box sets although am regularly tempted by the Velvet Underground set and have got the Bjork live box. I guess it's a bit like my feelings when cd first arrived and regularly included 6 extra tracks - if it's not good enough for the original why bother. It's not a rule I've found many occasions to disagree with, whether it be alt takes on Blue Note, remixes or whatever. I'm turning into a grumpy puritan - an album should weigh in at 45 mins max, a movie at 90 mins and so on. That said, I've just bought the new Yo La Tengo for the outtakes cd !!

Kevin

Originally posted by sideshowbob

I'm guessing the vinyl release will be on Table of the Elements, they've pressed vinyl versions of a lot of Revenant stuff, including the Beefheart Grow Fins set. As with that, I'm just going to have to buy both and hang the expense.

-- Ian

You're guessing wrong Ian, Revenant are doing it themselves this time it seems. Let us know if there are any differencies will ya.

advertisement

Back