advertisement

Can switching from analogue phone landline to BTDigital Voice slow internet speed?

Schnitger

pfm Member
As per the title: can BT Digital Voice slow internet speed? 'Digital Voice' involves switching off a BT landline's analogue phone connection and relaying the phone signal digitally over broadband. Putting aside concerns about the lack of a landline during powercuts, my immediate concern is a possible reduction in internet speed. I understand it shouldn't, but in some cases it has.

I ask as I've just signed up for a new BT broadband deal through EE, which is coupled with a better SIM only deal for my mobile, but I hadn't realised the new broadband deal involves disconnection of the analogue landline and switch to Digital Voice. I guess I should have been more 'savvy' in the EE store.....

There are recent threads on forums reporting a reduction in internet speed after the switch to Digital Voice, such as this:

My internet speed is a slow 16Mb/s, so any reduction in speed is significant. As it is, if a TV is streaming in regular HD the PC intenet use slows significantly, which matters when I'm working from home.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Basic copper broadband will offer a MAX download speed of 16 Mbps but you’ll never get that. You’ll be lucky to get 12. Upload speed will be a maximum of 1 Mbps. You’ll be lucky to get 0.5 Mbps. So, yes, as your broadband is crap, any additional load will have a detrimental effect on speed.

I used to have BT’s basic broadband for 5 years and hated it with a passion.

Basic copper broadband will offer a MAX download speed of 16 Mbps but you’ll never get that. You’ll be lucky to get 12. Upload speed will be a maximum of 1 Mbps. You’ll be lucky to get 0.5 Mbps. So, yes, as your broadband is crap, any additional load will have a detrimental effect on speed.

I used to have BT’s basic broadband for 5 years and hated it with a passion.
Thanks for the info. Speed checkers show a consistent speed of 16Mbps, though I've no idea if this means what I'm actually getting or what I 'could' get.

Thanks for the info. Speed checkers show a consistent speed of 16Mbps, though I've no idea if this means what I'm actually getting or what I 'could' get.
Cheers. I think you’re one of the lucky ones if you’re getting 16 Mbps!

I was often checking Ookla and never saw 16 Mbps. ☹️

Cheers. I think you’re one of the lucky ones if you’re getting 16 Mbps!

I was often checking Ookla and never saw 16 Mbps. ☹️
Yes, slow internet is a pain. I live not 1.5 miles outside the M25 and the infrastructure (internet, public transport, even water pressure) is c**p compared to inside the M25's golden halo.

The new broadband deal's small print states I have 14 days in which to cancel the deal. I think I'll try that, unless BT cut the analogue signal before hand.

advertisement

Back