advertisement

Can: Live In Stuttgart 1975

Got the CD. It is quite excellent. It's a thrill to hear virtuoso musicianship applied to such 'tight-but-loose' improvisations on themes. Very much in alignment with Miles Davis Dark Magus, Agartha and Pangea. Indeed, it also reminds me his Get Up With It album.

I did try, but to me it just sort of started, carried on and then ended. It was nice to see some good shots of Jaki being Jaki, and I enjoyed Irmin’s karate fight with the imaginary opponent, but sorry to say Can are still on my ‘everyone else says they are Godlike geniuses so not getting it must be entirely your fault’ list.

I admit they were perhaps a bit exited for being on tv and overly eager to show off in that one,
and that's nothing that would particularly catch my attention, too.

You may want to try the first link Tony posted.
As that and the whole live-album from Stuttgart is in an entirely different dimension
to that TV appearence.
I'm really not a fan of everything Can as a whole, but this live gig captures the core of what I love about them
and is done and performed really well..it feels genuinely inspired and I'm starting to love it already.
Which rarely happens with present outputs, honestly..and could stay the best release to me for a long time to come easily.

Thanks Tony for posting this. It would have otherwise passed me by. I agree with whoever posted that this recording reminded them of " Get Up With It ". I'm listening to Can now and keep expecting a trumpet !

Listening to it at the moment. Really good. I blow hot and cold with Can. They made three great albums, Monster Movie, Tago Mago, and Ege Bamyasi, and a lot of albums with only one or two interesting moments. But this is pretty much on point from start to finish.

Listening to it at the moment. Really good. I blow hot and cold with Can. They made three great albums, Monster Movie, Tago Mago, and Ege Bamyasi, and a lot of albums with only one or two interesting moments. But this is pretty much on point from start to finish.

Spot on my impression. Liked it straight & still growing..

And Soon Over Babaluma. Actually I'll take SOB and Future Days over any of the others.

Yes, I’d somehow forgotten SOB. Dizzy Dizzy is the high point for sure, but it’s far from the only decent track. Tago Mago and Ege Bam Yasi are the real high watermarks for me, probably with Soundtracks next. Mother Sky is just essential; Can’s only full-ahead driving rock track and, along with Miles Davis’s Tribute to Jack Johnson, about as good as rock music can possibly be.

Always useful to dust this off for anyone new to Can.

can+flowchart.jpg

Anyway, you're all wrong. Can never made an album that was less than perfect until "Can", and even then it's probably because you don't get the joke behind "Can Can". So there.

If you've never bothered with the Virgin stuff, I'll just leave this here for your enjoyment:

Always useful to dust this off for anyone new to Can.

can+flowchart.jpg

Anyway, you're all wrong. Can never made an album that was less than perfect until "Can", and even then it's probably because you don't get the joke behind "Can Can". So there.

Don't forget 'All Gates Open' from Can which is worth the price of admission on its own.

The Can Live In Brighton 3xLP turned up earlier. Annoyingly with a pressing fault on the last LP (something black stamped in the surface, maybe a non-melted vinyl pellet), so it will be going back once the replacement turns up. I do like the way Amazon give you time with this as it means you swap covers or whatever if the replacement arrives dinged-up. I only got to play side one earlier, but it is really good. Great sound; powerful with a good size, scale and kick to it.

Nice review from this 45rpm Audiophile chap. Especially interesting for me as I’ve been pronouncing ‘Czukay’ entirely wrongly, and I’ll assume this guy knows (it’s more like ‘Chuckie’). FWIW based entirely on side 1 I have no issue with the gold vinyl. I was worried as some, e.g. the original issue of Ian Dury’s New Boots sounded terrible; noisy and gutless. The Can sounds really good based on the 1st side.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Can Live In Brighton 3xLP turned up earlier. Annoyingly with a pressing fault on the last LP (something black stamped in the surface, maybe a non-melted vinyl pellet), so it will be going back once the replacement turns up. I do like the way Amazon give you time with this as it means you swap covers or whatever if the replacement arrives dinged-up. I only got to play side one earlier, but it is really good. Great sound; powerful with a good size, scale and kick to it.

Nice review from this 45rpm Audiophile chap. Especially interesting for me as I’ve been pronouncing ‘Czukay’ entirely wrongly, and I’ll assume this guy knows (it’s more like ‘Chuckie’). FWIW based entirely on side 1 I have no issue with the gold vinyl. I was worried as some, e.g. the original issue of Ian Dury’s New Boots sounded terrible; noisy and gutless. The Can sounds really good based on the 1st side.
I’ve always (obviously incorrectly) pronounced it almost literally, as ‘zoo-kay’!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve always (obviously incorrectly) pronounced it almost literally, as ‘zoo-kay’!

I was much the same but stuck an ‘s’ in front of the ‘z’. I guess it makes some sense when one thinks of ‘czechoslovakia’, that’s a similar ‘ch’ sound. I don’t have any (non computer!) languages beyond English so come unstuck real fast with this sort of thing.

That is a very good flowchart!

An my entire Can collection!

( with the exception of the Lost Tapes CD thing which I bought but hardly ever play)

Cover question : I have this edition of Tago Mago ( UA double album )

OIP.b5CvcAjJsTVTVac8MTgDAAAAAA

Rather than this one

OIP.HoIG04kdKqPPOlj8DyPy1QAAAA

Which one is "original" or "best" ??

Cover question : I have this edition of Tago Mago ( UA double album )

OIP.b5CvcAjJsTVTVac8MTgDAAAAAA

Rather than this one

OIP.HoIG04kdKqPPOlj8DyPy1QAAAA

Which one is "original" or "best" ??

The top one is the UK issue, the bottom the German. Both are original. Both have also been pirated. The UK one has a textured envelope sleeve with a fold-in tab on the rear, the German one is a gloss laminate gatefold. I have the UK one too.

My replacement Live In Brighton turned up with a nice LP3 and I’ve made my way through the whole thing now. It is a monster! I nearly didn’t buy this as I figured it couldn’t be that different to Stuttgart given they are both from the same year, but they work as a pair very like Miles Davis Aghearta and Pangea (again both absolutely essential). Can were *way* better live than they were capturing in the studio at this time IMO, just laughably so. These two albums may well contain some of their best work. Just a shame Damo was gone by this time. Hopefully they have some similar quality earlier stuff to dig up.

advertisement

Back