advertisement

Can - Individual album reissues

Mute Ege Bamyasi LP.

Amazingly the new vinyl is a faithful reproduction of the open and detailed sound of the SACD remaster (at least the P-Vine version, I have). Perhaps it even has a touch more detail at the top? (Looking at the frequency distribution of the digital download seems to support that idea.) How they get an LP to sound the same as a well-mastered CD is interesting, I guess. My German UA vinyl sounds almost murky in comparison.

But this puts me in a ambivalent mood -

The Audio CD part of the dual SACD disc of Ege sounds great on my CD deck, so why am I vaguely disappointed to hear much the same sound coming off an LP? I guess it's a modern sound for the modern ear but...

Q. Do I need an LP that sounds pretty much the same as the CD I already enjoy?

A. Not really ;) Will be selling it cheap on the for sale forum* and playing the pbthal cd rip of the UA vinyl (which I stress that also own).

I think I follow your logic. But does the Ege Bamyasi vinyl remaster have the phenomenal bass and energy evident on the German UA original? You say the original sounds murky, but that isn't my experience. Do you prefer the UA over the Mute despite the Mute having 'more detail'? Thanks for the report, I'm still holding out for Future Days.

I think I follow your logic. But does the Ege Bamyasi vinyl remaster have the phenomenal bass and energy evident on the German UA original?

That's what I had hoped for but I didn't get an increased sense of that over the SACD version. I don't have huge bass speakers, though (due to neighbour proximity restrictions).

I now suspect that my s/h German/UK UA pressing is compromised in some way as it sounds a bit flat compared to the pbthal German UA rip I mentioned. I think the pbthal rip displays the fuller bass and energy you mention.

Still, I'm back to slightly lesser cartridge (the DV10x5 now) than I had before so let's hear some more feedback from others.

Look forward to your report on Future Days if you buy it.

I don't have any Can albums. I was in Rough Trade the other day and picked up Soundtracks, Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi. I only really knew the song 'Mother Sky' from the film Deep End. I'm hoping these three albums might give me a good starting point for Can.

All the remasters are on Qobuz for d/l and streaming at 16/44. I can't compare the SQ to other versions but I've played Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi and they sound good to me. Isn't Sing Swan Song a great track? Does anyone know anything about Jaki Leibezeit, like how did he develop his style? Or was he always a genius?
Vince

All the remasters are on Qobuz for d/l and streaming at 16/44. I can't compare the SQ to other versions but I've played Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi and they sound good to me. Isn't Sing Swan Song a great track? Does anyone know anything about Jaki Leibezeit, like how did he develop his style? Or was he always a genius?
Vince

Hi Vince,

Circa 2.40 minutes - “You must play monotonous”

Jaki is ‘The man’ :)

Gerard

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gerard, I'll watch those tonight... as long as the games don't go to extra time.
Your Totem Hawks are still sounding good!
Vince

Vince

Listening to Tago Mago, my friend told me he thought Leibezeit was really a jazz drummer. It turns he was right and you can hear him on Manfred Schoof Quintet's 1966 Voices album (when the free jazz saxes let up). Personally, I couldn't recognise anything in his playing on that record.

With regards the font on the new vinyl labels (and elsewhere in the Can corporate branding). Can in my mind are not a clean modernist swiss style Helvetica font kind of band. It feels very inappropriate.

Hi Vince,

Circa 2.40 minutes - “You must play monotonous”

Gerard

I like it when Damo says "Actually I don't have so much memories, because that time I was quite stoned. And that's it. Hahahah." There's a happy acceptance about this.

Apparently David Niven was asked what he thought about the music at the first gig that Damo took part in, he said that "It was great, but I didn't know it was music." He would have made a great critic.

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
The David Niven story is fun, I wonder if it's true?
Good videos, thanks Gerard.
Vince

A great story.

Holger Czukay recounted it in and old internet-published interview.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/holger.html

David Niven made a comedy film (King, Queen, Knave) for Polish director Jerzy Skolimowski (who also commissioned Can for his soundtrack to the classic film Deep End with Jane Asher). King, Queen, Knave was made for a West Germany production company, shot in Bavaria and released in 1972. So there's a very good chance David Niven might have been in Munich at that time. Along with the fact that his, then, director Skolimowski knew Can, it sounds very plausible.

Just refitted my better cartridge after an extended run of system trouble-shooting. I have to say the pressing of Ege Bamyasi now sounds much better to me (extended bass sound) and distinguishes itself nicely from the SACD version in it's mellifluous presentation of the details on my TT. I'd like to compare it to a good original but I doubt there is any point in forking out £100+ on an original when you can get this for under £20.

Still like to hear other people's opinions.

Wow, just sampled Ege Bamyasi and Tago Mago in iTunes and I'm quite impressed. New to this group. Unfortunately these LP's aren't available in the US until September. Pre-order placed for a price much cheaper than going through Amazon UK.

Wow, just sampled Ege Bamyasi and Tago Mago in iTunes and I'm quite impressed. New to this group. Unfortunately these LP's aren't available in the US until September. Pre-order placed for a price much cheaper than going through Amazon UK.

I listened to both of these for the first time this week too - excellent albums and the new releases on vinyl sound very good - think Ege Bamyasi is my favourite . £17 each from Fopp in Manchester which seems quite cheap for new records and I'm definitely going to look out for more.

advertisement

Back