advertisement

"Can I take an email address for an online receipt?"

Rack Kit

pfm Member
No you can't and stop making it sound like it's compulsory. Just print me the receipt as normal with the printer that's right there in front of you.

So many of the big chains are at it these days. I fell for it once at a French Connection Outlet in Cheshire Oaks when it just started and I genuinely thought they were no longer printing out receipts anymore. Anyway, surprise surprise, I then start getting spam emails to the email address I gave them a few weeks after.
Thankfully, they've stopped now but it was a PITA for a while.

Don't fall for it folks (& fishes)!

I like it, many receipts are printed on aluminium paper which fade after 30 seconds so having an email copy makes life easier.

Email receipts are environmentally friendly, so they are 100% preferable.

Just tell them not to add you to email lists.

I had ATS try this stunt last time I had a tyre, no pretence it was for a receipt, they just asked. I said "no". Lots wouldn't, it just becomes routine.

As someone who has worked in and around various retail business's for thirty five years things like this perplex me. Everyone wants your email address, staff are told to collect them - they may even have targets. It's really not their fault. Just say no. Or even: ' Can i just have a paper receipt please' Dont wind yourself up.

As for spam bothering you..... just ignore it, block it, unsubscribe but chill out. Its not personal and there really is nothing to fall for. The law protects you as it does all consumers.

For some things I like email receipts. Take buying a Iphone from Apple. Much easier for me to to find a 2 year old email receipt in my email filing system than to scrabble about the office looking for a scrap of paper from 2 years ago.

Others - I sometimes say that I am already on their email list - never mind if it is true or not. Emails I do not want - I suppose about once a quarter I have an unsubscribing session.

The worst receipts are the ruddy Paypal ones - they send you receipt but you cannot work out what it is for! The name of the retailer is not always enough.

For some things I like email receipts. Take buying a Iphone from Apple. Much easier for me to to find a 2 year old email receipt in my email filing system than to scrabble about the office looking for a scrap of paper from 2 years ago.

Others - I sometimes say that I am already on their email list - never mind if it is true or not. Emails I do not want - I suppose about once a quarter I have an unsubscribing session.

The worst receipts are the ruddy Paypal ones - they send you receipt but you cannot work out what it is for! The name of the retailer is not always enough.

I'm fine with that and do the sane and obviously with online purchases but I was only buying a car wash bucket & grit guard and couple of sheets of Wet & Dry from Halfrauds! They don't need an email address for that.

I generally prefer electronic receipts - especially if they will eventually become part of an expense claim. I keep an email account I use just for those cases so spam to that doesn't bother me.

When it came to tallying up all the stuff lost in the fire, online receipts were a lifesaver. I still only get about one spam a month.

A service like unroll.me (currently not in EU) will deal with legitimate marketing database unenrolment.

Can I add to that the request for an e-mail address in hotels, along with taking a 'swipe' (as they euphemistically put it) of your bank card. No, no and no. Thank you.

I don't find it a problem, mostly I say "I don't give my email out" and people are polite and understanding. For big ticket items and receipts that I need to send along with invoices to clients I say "yes" because it saves scanning them.

I think it is great. I always ask to opt out of any marketing. I have never been spammed as a result

Can I add to that the request for an e-mail address in hotels, along with taking a 'swipe' (as they euphemistically put it) of your bank card. No, no and no. Thank you.

I know plenty of hotels that would refuse to check you in without the shadow on your card. We stay in hotels perhaps every two weeks, and have never had a problem (says he who is sitting in the bar of a hotel in Southwold, and the 4th hotel we've stayed in, in 5 days).

The problem is that they always ask, even if it is for a sandwich costing less than a fiver. We should be challenging the requirement for any kind of receipt for small amounts, and it should be the norm to have to ask for a receipt if you want one. That'll save both the planet and the spam.

I know plenty of hotels that would refuse to check you in without the shadow on your card. We stay in hotels perhaps every two weeks, and have never had a problem (says he who is sitting in the bar of a hotel in Southwold, and the 4th hotel we've stayed in, in 5 days).

I’ve not encountered one that wouldn’t check me in . If it’s not in the booking terms then they can whistle. If it starts to appear , i’ll Get a second current account and use that, in case of grief. Which ‘pre-authorisation’ can be.

Only keep receipts for major stuff and expenses .

But thing that used to get on wick was currys asking for home address when you bought anything worth over a few quid. Resisted that one

advertisement

Back