advertisement

Can anyone help identify this? NAC32 connector.

stevenkelby

pfm Member
Hi all,

A friend wants to put his LP collection on PC and wants to use this NAC32 as the phono stage for the job.

His current arm (Ekos IIRC, could be the one starting with A. Akiro?) terminates in RCAs to suit his newer NAD phono. We need to connect it to the NAC 32, and I can make an adapter, if only I knew what the plug was even called so I can find one and make a female RCA to male Mystery Plug cable.

img2275yo1.jpg

Output is no problem, I have a 5 pin din plug to make an adapter to go into the soundcard.

Any info much appreciated thanks,

Steve

They look like BNC to me. You can buy BNC to phono adapters easily.

You wait all day and then 3 come along at once !

Jeepers, thanks guys!

I've been trying to figure this out for weeks!

Ebay should set me right, there are plenty to choose from. Every single one of which is in the UK. Does the B in BNC stand for British by any chance?

Thanks again for the help, should be good now.

Steve.

Jeepers, thanks guys!

I've been trying to figure this out for weeks!

Ebay should set me right, there are plenty to choose from. Every single one of which is in the UK. Does the B in BNC stand for British by any chance?

Thanks again for the help, should be good now.

Steve.

B is for Bayonet. There is a rarely seen TNC, with threads on.

Every single one of which is in the UK. Does the B in BNC stand for British by any chance?

steven, here's some useless information :-

The BNC socket/plug was invented in the late 1940's and the 'B' describes the Bayonet coupling mechanism while Neil and Concelman were the inventors of the 'N' and 'C' connectors.

Well, I did say it was useless.

Thanks guys.

I just read all the links and opened the NAC32 to have a look.

I think I'm just going to change the plugs to RCA and do away with BNC, just easier an more convenient, plus avoids the need for special cables/adapters etc.

Thanks again for the help!

Steve

bnc's have the advantage of being a true 75ohm terminated socket. RCA's aren't.

Bah humbug. :) Are we sure this is a 75ohm wire:

img2278xw6.jpg

How about the trace on the PCB, is that 75ohm? :p

Just kidding of course, but surely an RCA to BNC adapter would do more to hurt the sound than a good connection which is not 75ohm?

Immaterial anyway as the Ekos is terminated to RCA, so there's an RCA joint there anyway, might as well be only 1 instead of 3!

Thanks anyway though, at least that explains why they used BNC in the first place, presumably all line level and tonearm connections by Linn/Naim were BNC at that time?

That would make sense. We were discussing why they used BNC in the first place and conclude it was just for the commercial benefits of having a proprietary or unusual connector.

Anyway the impedance of BNC is moot too, as I see many RCAs have 75ohm impedance, eg:

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=517

For the output I plan to make a 5 pin din (already have a couple) to RCA cable. Should work fine.

One more Q while I'm here, is the MC input 100uV or 2mV?

I plan to swap both sets to RCA.

Is there any harm connecting MC to MM inputs, and vice versa, assuming you don't crank it too loud obviously and melt things?

Thanks again,

Steve.

Steve,

A high output MC (I have a Denon DL-110) can be fed into both Naim MM and MC cards. Most info on here will suggest the MM cards will sound better, but that is contrary to my opinion.

Richard

Cool, thanks for the input Richard, we'll try it both ways and see.

We're doing this to get his vinyl on digital so want to do it as well as possible first time.

Cheers,

Steve.

At the time of the Nac32 Naim used BNC for the phono input and line level was via DIN (they still do as far as I am aware). The official line was that Naim felt that BNC better served the transference of very low level signal (like that from a MC cartridge) and they believed it was better than either phono or Din for this purpose. As a result a pair of BNC plugs was supplied with all Naim pre-amps for your dealer to reterminate you arm cable.

Oops - come to think of it I probably should :)

I cant remember if if the 32 has 729 cards (don't think it has) but it definately has 321 cards in it. Steve you should definately consider replacing your standard Naim 321 boards with NJ321 boards (see the couple of big threads about these). This will instantly raise the performance of the 32 whilst maintaining all of its strengths, win - win. Take out the tape boards (although I guess you might need these) and the pre-amp will be transformed :).

advertisement

Back