advertisement

Can a Nait 2 drive Yamaha NS 1000 (M)s?

hockman

pfm Member
I've gotten more curious of vintage gear of late.

I've heard that Yammies NS1000 can strip paint if driven by certain solid state amps. In particular, has anyone heard a pair sound good when driven by the Naim Nait 2?

Thanks, point taken. I know they can be fussy speakers but one never knows without trying. I've been surprised before by unlikely or unpromising pairings.

Exactly, Joe. And I vaguely remember folk here (James?) successfully using a Nait 2 to drive NS1000s.

It's for a second system (which I don't really need if pressed but we are boys and our toys) so I can't justify or want to go look for a big amp to drive them. Right now I am using my Nait with my beloved IBLs, which are indeed a little 'bass shy'. 😆

If the Nait works, then it would scratch my itch for vintage speakers without greater commitment or financial outlay. Perhaps I need to look again at JBL 4311/4312s...at least I am pretty sure that the Nait will probably work.

I have used my Nait 2 to drive very low efficiency LS3/5a's. NS1000's should be a breeze. Just don't expect ear shattering dB's before the poor little thing goes into clipping.

I have used my Nait 2 to drive very low efficiency LS3/5a's. NS1000's should be a breeze. Just don't expect ear shattering dB's before the poor little thing goes into clipping.
I don't think it's the power per se. It's more that the tonal character of the Nait and Yamahas are unlikely to compliment each other. Both are on the lean side with the Nait getting even more strident when pressed. The only situation I can see it working might be for very low volume near field listening.

A friend with NS1000's quite enjoyed pairing them with a Nait2.

I don't think it's the power per se. It's more that the tonal character of the Nait and Yamahas are unlikely to compliment each other. Both are on the lean side with the Nait getting even more strident when pressed. The only situation I can see it working might be for very low volume near field listening.

Both my nait2's are quite far from lean... no, not over protective at all!!

... I vaguely remember folk here (James?) successfully using a Nait 2 to drive NS1000s.
Yes, that would be me. What I cannot remember is whether this was before or after the Troels Gravesen crossover upgrade. My NS-1000Ms sound super groovy with a CB Nait 2. Its 15 or so watts go a long way into a 90dB/w/m loudspeaker.

Appreciate hearing a variety of views.

It's for a 2nd system in a smaller space, I won't be playing them loud, just normal listening levels. If I want loud, I use my main system.😁

I understand the Yammies may work well with tube amps. Unfortunately I've gotten rid of all of mine i.e. a push pull Oto and a nice Quicksilver pre and power. Only left with the Naits...not going to start again on amps...

JBL 4311/12s are possible but they are definitely colored (but fun) and need to be away from the walls which is an issue.

Like I said, this is a first world problem, I don't need any of this, just an itch to scratch...

It sounds like you already own both, so why not just try it? You might like it. I doubt I wouldbut there you are. I'm not you.

If you don't own it already, which bit are you going out to buy? If the Nait 2, why exactly this model? Yes, they are fashionable, but that has to be paid for and there are better at the money, both from Salisbury and not.

NS1000 Heard a pair the other day sounding excellent but with a 550wpc M8XI from musical Fidelity. Much better than mine back in the 80s with Naim

Another speaker I never understood the fascination with, heard them a few times but very much not for me.

Bought some stands off a guy years ago who played his NS1000 and Audiolab pre/amps to me, my ears were still ringing after the long drive home.

Bought some stands off a guy years ago who played his NS1000 and Audiolab pre/amps to me, my ears were still ringing after the long drive home.
I'm not a fan either but it does highlight the fact that you can't trust internet opinion. You need to try things for yourself.

CC,

I used to have 57s driven by a NAP160, a combo which worked well for me.

It’s possibly an urban legend, but I’ve heard it said more than once that Naim designed the 160 specifically with Quad 57s in mind. Anyone know if this is a myth?

I know Naim liked the 57s enough to hire a Guy (sorry, a Mike Reedian pun) to make a battleship version of the speaker.

Joe

It sounds like you already own both, so why not just try it? You might like it. I doubt I wouldbut there you are. I'm not you.

If you don't own it already, which bit are you going out to buy? If the Nait 2, why exactly this model? Yes, they are fashionable, but that has to be paid for and there are better at the money, both from Salisbury and not.
I already have the Nait2. The NS1000s are available locally at a decent price hence my curiosity about whether my Naim can drive them successfully. Obviously I should try using my Nait first but I doubt I'll be able to do that before committing.

I know the asking price for a 35 year old amp is a bit ridiculous but I am not planning on parting with mine.

advertisement

Back