advertisement

Camera Help!

Tony. B

obsessed by music
Hi y’all,

I hope that some of you knowledgeable folk will be able to help me sort out a problem. I am registered blind but I can still see a little, a bit like looking through a pair of misted up glasses. I would like to try photographing wildlife in my garden but I am unable to see enough detail using a camera viewfinder or back screen. I know it is possible, on some cameras, to use a laptop as the viewfinder but, I don't know what specs to look for in any camera information that would allow me to achieve this.

I was hoping that a bridge camera with a good long zoom lens would allow me to take the sort of photographs that I require. I do realise, of course , that a DSLR plus very long lens would be out of the question financially unless I sold my house. Definitely not an option.

I'd be very grateful for any advice that you folks are able to offer.

Many thanks, in anticipation.

Tony. B

Tony

If the camera has an HDMI output, it will be possible to set this up to output on an HDMI monitor or TV - some cameras offer options to overlay the HDMI output with data and some allow a still to be taken while pressing teh shutter in this mode.

If you want to go down the bridge camera rote then look at offerings from Panasonixc and Sony, the RX10 from Sony might do what you are after (I know I can set up my Sony ZV-1 in a similar mode to this but that won't have the zoom range for wildlife) -the RX10 has had several revisions and Sony usually make older models available at a lower price.

Rather than relying on specs and manulas, I'd ring upo a decent bricks and mortar camera store (or even go it) and explain the requirements.

Hope that helps

Something like this, connect via wi fi or Bluetooth to pad or phone, usually pad/phone will act as remote control too.

Canon Powershot SX430 20MP 45x Zoom Bridge Camera - Black678/2315

With Nikon Z cameras you can use the snapbridge app on your ipad to mirror the viewfinder and remotely trigger the shutter.

I forgot to add that my budget it's around £1000 or maybe a little more. I intend to use my Apple 15 inch laptop as a viewfinder and then use a 27 inch Monitor to view the final images. I have looked online and seen a couple of Nikon Coolpic cameras with extremely long zoom lenses, which may provide the type of close-ups that I am looking for. However, until I get to try it I have no idea whether or not this is practical given my very poor eyesight.

You may well wonder why a severely sight impaired, partially colour blind, guy would want to waste time and energy on a project such as this. Well the fact is that I spent 35 years as a qualified professional photographer always wishing that I had the time to take wildlife and abstract plant close-ups. I took very early retirement in 1997 to look after my severely disabled wife and, sadly, since that time I not only lost my lovely wife but also my eyesight. So in order not to become a sad and miserable old git I decided to set myself this challenge and do something I've always wanted to do. The big problem is that I have Little or no knowledge of digital photography. All I have is lots of enthusiasm, an f…ing great tripod and my laptop. So watch this space.

Thank you for your suggestions and any more ideas you kind folks may come up with.

Tony B

advertisement

Back