advertisement

camera heads up...

cliff.

i'm pretty sure it's to cock the shutter--otherwise most of your battery power would be used up by the task.

if things turn out well for me at this year's canadian international, i'll tell you from first hand experience ;-)

vuk.

The new back looks nice, but still a 1.5 crop - kind of limiting with lenses? - I guess a 6x6 chunk of silicon would just be too pricey!

I wonder if the crop factor is more to prevent excessive vignetteing that a full frame sensor would experience due to the individual sensors being at the end of short tubes so light arriving from an angle (ie at the edge of a full frame ) gets restricted access to the sensor.

A film is essentially flat so light at the edges of the full frame still can be recorded on the film.

This is better explained by Olympus at

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_7045.htm

scroll down to "Lens resolution & corner-shading"

Some of amazing shots I've seen from digital Hasselblads can be attributable to fancy Carl Zeiss primes, but this comparison was damn near the most telling I've ever seen for getting good glass and a camera with a big, high-res sensor.

Here's a shot with a greyed area from which actual pixels from a 12MP Nikon D2X and a 39MP Hassy will be shown.

original.jpg

First, the actual pixels from the crop as resolved by the D2X...
original.jpg

... then the actual pixels from the crop as resolved by the Hassy.
original.jpg

(Another crop from the Hassy processed a bit differently to recover the highlights and shadows is here.)

I don't know which lenses were used in the test, but the Nikon probably had a pro f/2.8 Nikkor zoom of some sort and the Hassy probably had a Carl Zeiss prime mounted. It's worth noting that if this is the result you're after, a used medium format camera and a nice scanner will get you pretty close at a fraction of the cost... well, as long as you're not shooting 12 rolls of 120/220 film a day.

Joe

LTD,

The digital Hassy is around $11k in the U.S., which includes a 80mm f/2.8 CZ prime, so it isn't that much more than a Nikon D3 or a Canon 1Ds Mk III.

If money were no object and if I shot landscapes primarily, the choice for me would be clear -- digi-Hassy plus a couple of CZ primes. But I mostly take pictures of my daughter drawing on the driveway, so any pro camera would be overkill.

991560249_c5e3413bdc_o.jpg

Joe

advertisement

Back