advertisement

Calling all psychologists: the "my gear is me" syndrome...

Not quite true
Once the ultimate level is reached, there is oneness, and a self that is perfect, but, that self is no longer important.
There is no ultimate level, this is already oneness. 'Who' would attain what is already the case, and to 'who' would this supposed self be important or unimportant?

Constructive criticism can be helpful - if given and received with explanation as to why something might be lacking or wrong. The receiver might disagree, of course, and that is their prerogative. I'm mindful we listen for and like different things.
Indeed. I think much depends on how people express their dislike, or lack of admiration for something. If done tactlessly it’s much easier to infer the sort of personal criticism I was suggesting.

There is no ultimate level, this is already oneness. 'Who' would attain what is already the case, and to 'who' would this supposed self be important or unimportant?
What is the ‘this’ to which you refer? Your current state of existence? That isn’t one this. You may use the word ‘I’ A lot and assume that you understand what that means, but there is no such thing as I only a lot of me’s, none of them capable of sticking to anything like a purpose for more than five minutes or so. The answer to your second part is that who is potentially anybody who puts in the work and the understanding, and as for to whom (with an M) that would be important the answer is obviously that the goal is as important as the journey, but in the end there is no importance to either, simply a proper understanding of the unity of the word I

May be it is a combination of where people lie on so called big 5 personality dimensions, epecially numbers 2, 4 and 5?

Huge amount of evidence for them, across many cultures.

The%2BBig%2BFive%2BPersonality%2BTest.jpg

'As cited by Daft'. Mheh.

But looking at that lot, I can veer from one end of the spectrum to the other quite easily, sometimes even on the same day. So I might be aloof and easily irritated in the morning, but be warm, considerate and good-natured in the afternoon.

What is the ‘this’ to which you refer? Your current state of existence? That isn’t one this. You may use the word ‘I’ A lot and assume that you understand what that means, but there is no such thing as I only a lot of me’s, none of them capable of sticking to anything like a purpose for more than five minutes or so. The answer to your second part is that who is potentially anybody who puts in the work and the understanding, and as for to whom (with an M) that would be important the answer is obviously that the goal is as important as the journey, but in the end there is no importance to either, simply a proper understanding of the unity of the word I

Sounds like a bit of Gurdjieff

Sorry for this -

5 Zen Koans that Will Open Your Mind ~ Fractal Enlightenment

There is no journey

It is Gurdy baby. Good spot :)
There WAS a journey but I got fed up with how much money he wanted from me. Then I discovered, I'm thick, and that was easier.
Now I just smoke too much and it seems fine.
I still think that somewhere there is a man who really is there however. just never was going to be me hahaha.

As an aside comment, it's intereasting to think that our collective and individual response to the Covid pandemic can be largely explained by two single data points on the big five scale - our collective predisposition to trait neutroticism and trait agreeableness. Everything you need to know about why we did what we did and what some people are continuing to do, can be explained by those two variables.

Two other comments on the original post though.

One is that what you are identifying is ostensibly a variation on 'confirmation bias', where we only choose to see the evidence that supports our ideology, The second is that it's also a classic example of what Khaneman identified in his book 'Thinking Fast and Slow' as being 'system one' thinking.

It's really worth reading that book at it ostensible helps explain a lot of things currently being misappropriated by otherwise well meaning SJWs and is causing the so called 'culture wars'.

To my mind the whole online community thing is about learning and sharing information. If you asked me to define the purpose of this site that is it in a sentence. Some rooms work far better than others, DIY, classic, photo and the music room being the high-watermarks IMHO. I’m 45+ years into this hobby and I like to think I’m just about bright enough to grasp just how little I know, though I’ll always take pictures and try and document what I’ve learned along the way in the hope it helps get information out there for others. I’ve certainly no time for ego crusaders etc, I just don’t understand that mentality. I agree the social side is a very valid part too. Lots to learn from hearing alternative approaches, new music etc.

I’d say that pfm is way more than that to me, and I suspect many others. I’ve made many friendships here. Some folk I’ve even met!

My wife refers to pfm as social media for old blokes, and she’s spot on.

'As cited by Daft'. Mheh.

But looking at that lot, I can veer from one end of the spectrum to the other quite easily, sometimes even on the same day. So I might be aloof and easily irritated in the morning, but be warm, considerate and good-natured in the afternoon.

People can have different types of experiences for sure that is trait v state. Nevertheless don’t you think people stay pretty much the same over many years? The OP asked for psychologists’ views, and I’m a consultant psychologist with 20 years experience of working with people in the NHS and degrees in electronic engineering, psychology and a PhD, so I gave a best evidence answer.

People can have different types of experiences for sure that is trait v state. Nevertheless don’t you think people stay pretty much the same over many years?

Up to a point, but I find that Myers-Briggs et al are more about putting people into boxes than anything more insightful, whereas 'real' people are a fascinating, bewildering mixture of traits.

And, yes, I've done Myers-Briggs loads of times. Usually came out as NSFW as far as I can remember.

Haven't read the whole thread because obviously most of it is just wrong...;)

But.. my 'two penn'orth':

There are several very strong 'camps' in hi-fi, the most obvious in the UK being Linn and NAIM. And I freely admit that I've 'had a pop', at both. The point being that I'm not so much having a go at either Linnies or Naimees, but the companies which spout the bullshit which so many seem to buy into. I mean..if you like the sound of the kit..of whatever make..then go for it... but please don't justify it with anything other than you like the sound of the kit.

There's a sub set to that which is about 'approval'. Just as many seem to need to own a certain brand of vehicle to signify that they have 'arrived'..so it is with some..and hi-fi. It goes further.. in some circles B&O is still regarded as the 'ultimate' brand. For others..it is Technics.. (Or even 'Techniques'.. :rolleyes:), but this is clearly just a combination of 'fashion', and 'received wisdom'. Whilst some B&O, and some Technics..is clearly good kit..it isn't all..

All of this, in the world of Hi-Fi, is pretty harmless, except to some folks' bank balances..

But when this sort of unscientific, tribal, undiscriminating, borderline religious drivel starts to impinge, mostly via the internet and social media..into important issues such as Covid/Vaccinations/Masks..etc.. it gets very serious and potentially dangerous.

Just sayin'

I think nearly everyone on this forum is happy with the idea that there is more than one true path with amplifiers and turntables.
Cables is a different story.

I am so glad I do not make TT. But why are cables a different tale. It all boils down to "Is it possible one can hear a improvement in the area one loves, if not then save the money and buy the kids a treat".

advertisement

Back