advertisement

Call Me Maybe; a masterpiece?

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
These days I'm a fugitive from pop music. I grew up loving the stuff, TOTP was a highlight of the week. These days pop makes little or no impact, but then I'm no spring chicken. So far so predictable, but when I see the Carly Rae tune described as "a masterpiece" I wonder how did I manage to get to fuddy-duddy land without even noticing. Sure she is sparkly and the song rests easily in the skull, but so do a heck of a lot of songs.

I read this for clues, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51061099 but am none the wiser. The case for the Carly Rae tune runs like this: "Jepsen hesitates before singing the first word of the chorus, 'Hey,'" they explain. "It's unexpected, but effective, like she's working up the courage to say her piece.

The chorus's underlying chord progression reinforces this feeling, deliberately avoiding the song's harmonic "home" in a way that makes the listener "feel giddily unmoored," Maybe I should stick to Gerry and the Pacemakers (no pun intended) at my time in life.

The first time I heard it on a decent system I was really surprised by the quality of production. Definitely a banger!

I think people actually need to consider it within the genre of pop music rather than what they might or might not like. Describing something as formulaic pap and life's too short and all those other cliches people come out with about music they don't like is just an opinion, many others might well enjoy it.

The BBC article is actually very interesting as is the whole 'science' behind pop music and what makes a record a hit these days and in the past. About 10 years ago an Oxford music professor did an hour long lecture about why Abba were so successful and while I can't find it on YouTube now, if it ever comes up it's worth a watch.

A great pop tune is a wonderful thing. Call me maybe is a good one. Not a great recording, fat and compressed, but all pop music is. Who cares. Turn it up and dance around the room. :D

Guilty, by Blue, is also a “guilty pleasure”.
Firework, by Katie Perry as well.

A great pop tune is a wonderful thing. Call me maybe is a good one. Not a great recording, fat and compressed, but all pop music is. Who cares. Turn it up and dance around the room. :D

Guilty, by Blue, is also a “guilty pleasure”.
Firework, by Katie Perry as well.

I prefer I Kissed A Girl. That might be a classic.

^ Channelling the Kinks perhaps? Their lyric:

I met her in a club down in old Soho
Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like
Cherry cola

Apparently, they wrote Coca Cola at first, but weren't allowed to sing it for some reason.

advertisement

Back