advertisement

Calculating power consumption of an Underfloor heating Mat

Fox

The sound of one hoof clopping
Rewire happening here and one query... just wanted to be sure so I thought I Would ask.

We have a pre-existing 240V electric underfloor heating element in a room comprising of two mats, both read 88/89 ohm each. Both mats were wired together and were plugged into a thermostatic controller now long gone. The underfloor temp probe reads 20K we are trying to work out if this mat will have a current draw of greater than 2KW (in which case it really needs its own circuit)

No one remembers the mat power the data on the wire in the backbox in the wall long since smooshed from water, we could hook up a kill-a-watt and read it but if thetre is any way we can do this with the existing data prior to first fitting wire going in by the sparky it would simplify things enormously.

Please show your workings :)

Incidentally these are not the main heating for the room which is GSHP and it will be in standby/off most of its life but it will be there as a backup in case the GSHP system needs to go offline for a protracted period of time... its in the floor, might as well reconnect it...

We are hoping one of the new replacement DEVI touch controllers will handle it along with two others at 44ohm/13K and 208ohm/15k again these are redundant backup systems but they are in the ground going nowhere so might as well get them in a state where they can work in case I need them.

Just switch it on and when you start dancing switch it off.

Also as the wire heats up its resistance will increase so you may be looking closer to 500W.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back