advertisement

Cable swap

cooky1257

pfm Member
I've just made up some balanced interconnects to replace my Van Damme studio grade ones using Klotz mc5000.
I was very happy with the VD stuff but was getting some mic leads anyway so took the opportunity. The difference is not a subtle one(well in the mids anyway).
I've recently upgraded my compression drivers to 4" Truextent Be's in JBL 2452's here; http://www.audiosmile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23086&page=6
and the incremental improvement over the 2435Be drivers was actually less than the diff this cable has made. Interesting for a mild scept like me.
Incidentally the commercially available made up XLR's/MC5000 leads from a variety of suppliers are all mislabeled and in fact use the much inferior my203 cables, so heads up.

I recently made up a couple of single-ended interconnects using Klotz AC110 and Neutrik ProFi plugs similar to Rob's in the reference area here. They are good leads, a bit crisper and more defined than the Gotham stuff I was using previously to my ears (sighted test!).

At the same time I bought a Klotz branded guitar lead made out of the same stuff and terminated with nice gold plated Neutrik 1/4" jacks. Now this really is a good cable IMO. The screening is noticeably better than several similar looking home made one I'd used previously (older style silver Neutrik plugs, generic studio mic lead) - I'd always had an issue with buzzing when a light in the living room with a dimmer switch was turned on, I assumed it was just the pickup of my bass picking it up, but changing to the Klotz lead has killed the buzz completely. Might be just the thing for anyone with hum issues on their hi-fi.

Tony.

I've been seated in a different room working today and the system has regularly grabbed my attention to the point of me getting up and wandering into the sounds room to check it out-neat eh?

FWIW I just noticed I'd paid zero attention to cable direction....should I look?:p

FWIW I just noticed I'd paid zero attention to cable direction....should I look?:p

I've not tried, I just used it direction of lettering to cable direction, i.e. reading from source to destination as that seems to be what people do, though the Klotz made guitar lead reads the other way, text towards the right-angle jack (guitar end)! I can't be arsed figuring it out to be honest!

Tony.

Cooky, I might try this stuff,but are you saying there are no reliable mc5000 ready made cables? Wheres the best place to buy it?

Cooky, I might try this stuff,but are you saying there are no reliable mc5000 ready made cables? Wheres the best place to buy it?

Yeah they all source from the same warehouse and same product code GO38RB by Electrovision.
DFB Warehouse were none too happy when I pointed the error out and gave me a refund.
I bought the MC5000 cable off the reel from Studiospares and made my own leads .

I've not tried, I just used it direction of lettering to cable direction, i.e. reading from source to destination as that seems to be what people do, though the Klotz made guitar lead reads the other way, text towards the right-angle jack (guitar end)! I can't be arsed figuring it out to be honest!

Tony.

I still do it. Word flow from source to pre.
Force of habit. I'll probably regret admitting to that :)

advertisement

Back