advertisement

Cable connection to mains block

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
Just need some clarification regarding attaching some Belden 19364 mains cable to a mains block please.

I know the drain wire is attached at the mains plug and left floating at the IEC connector end, but when wiring a mains block, do you attach the drain wire or not?

I would have thought it would attach, but have asked the question to MCRU where I bought the cable and he says to leave it floating.

Cheers,

Bill

Leaving it floating leaves you open to the risk of it becoming live in a fault condition - by Earthing it, it becomes electrically safe (well, safer at least). I'd be worried that MCRU are giving out potentially dangerous advice... Have a chat with a friendly qualified electrician if in doubt.

Leaving the drain floating inside the mains block doesn’t make it dangerous as the earth is (or better be!) connected but certainly don’t have a bit of bare drain wire flapping about inside the block! There would be little benefit having the drains fitted inside the block so they can be left unconnected inside the block. Through neatness I’d still connect the drain at the block exit to earth.

It's just the drain wire I was considering and of course the earth wire is connected and the case is earthed.
I have left the drain wire unconnected and covered the end of the cable with heat shrink so all contained.

advertisement

Back