advertisement

cabinet woodworking tools question

I will be using high quality Baltic birch ply, BBB grade. It has 13 layers in 3/4". Comes in European size 60" x 60" rather than the typical 4x8' sheet. Hence the 60x30x15 nominal dimensions.

You will still need to score the dados if you are going across the grain, birch ply breaks out a treat.

Check your sheets are exactly 60"x60" or mark every thing from one corner.

Pete

Thanks for the tip Pete. Will do, when I get there. BTW, I will be using biscuits for the back and central dividers. It's just the end joints I'd like to dress up. All shelves will run the full 5'. Top and bottom will be rabbets, middle one dado. I think getting a rail might be overkill for those 3 joints per side piece. Will just use a straight edge and clamps as James does.

I've been doing DIY stuff for about 30 years and consider myself reasonably competent. Lately I've been doing a lot of work on my daughter's house including fitting a kitchen and making a dining table.

My daughter is an arts graduate and more of a perfectionist than her mother so I've had to up my game. This meant better tools and a new pair of varifocals.

When I saw the price of The Festool TS55 track saw, I thought it couldn't possibly be worth it. I was wrong. It's worth twice the asking price. The precision, ease of use and sheer pleasure of using it is amazing. Possibly the best tool I've ever bought. I also bought a Festool router.

If you can stretch to Festool then you'll never regret it. As an added bonus they hold their price incredibly well and their after sales is brilliant.

I would love to get the Festool track saw, but at $660- it's hard to justify at the moment, considering I already have a Bosch table saw. If I have success with these projects, and start to make things regularly, I will probably go for it. Of course that eventually means getting the vacuum, router, orbital sander and table. I'm sure once you are used to Festool there's no going back.

I would love to get the Festool track saw, but at $660- it's hard to justify at the moment, considering I already have a Bosch table saw. If I have success with these projects, and start to make things regularly, I will probably go for it.

Other track saws are available ;-)

You get a cleaner look if you rebate the back, you don't need to be as accurate cutting it to size, any gap will be behind the cabinet.

Pete

I would love to get the Festool track saw, but at $660- it's hard to justify at the moment, considering I already have a Bosch table saw. If I have success with these projects, and start to make things regularly, I will probably go for it. Of course that eventually means getting the vacuum, router, orbital sander and table. I'm sure once you are used to Festool there's no going back.
Start with a new and bigger shed ... there'll be no end to opportunities to make sawdust.

Start with a new and bigger shed ... there'll be no end to opportunities to make sawdust.

You see, this is how things can escalate quickly on pfm - you want to make a shelving unit to hold a few hundred LPs and next thing you know you are pouring the foundation for an auxiliary building :)

I would use biscuits to join everything it you run the shelves horizontally and the dividers vertically the load will be transfer straight through the dividers, you won't need dados.
The Ikea one only has 6mm dowels supporting the edges so yours will be stronger.

I like the Hitachi M12V and the M8V both very cheap second-hand.

Pete

Biscuits will be absolutely perfect and more than adequate for the job.

I am sure they would be. As I have said a few times, the choice of a more complex joint is an aesthetic one.

This evening I am going to pick up a pair of Klipsch Tangent 400s. They have the same drivers & x-over as my Heresy speakers, just in a taller ported cab. I plan on building a pair of Hersey cabinets next - motor boards and new x-overs will be sourced from Bob Crites, but the rest is up to me.

advertisement

Back