advertisement

C4 QAnon The Cult Of Conspiracy

Tony L

Administrator
On now. Just astonishing how far from sanity the Republican Party now finds itself. These people are just nutjobs, yet they are great in number and influence. Really terrifying stuff. The human population of this planet is broken.

Yes it's terrifying. Unfortunately I have experience closer to home, my father-in-law is completely hooked on all this guff. He's bought into literally every conspiracy theory going:- twin towers, alien abduction, Maddie McCann, Trump, Plandemic, climate science denial, all of it. He's anti-vax which is a huge concern given his situation:- age 77, obese, high blood pressure and COPD sufferer!

Problem is you can't reason him out of these beliefs as it's not reason that's got him there in the first place. I really believe that some kind of mental illness is at play here.

Hmm...Boxing Day will be fun :(

Interesting subject, but the programme wasn't great. Presenter wasn't great either. A disappointment.

Not exactly Jon Ronson.

Yes it's terrifying. Unfortunately I have experience closer to home, my father-in-law is completely hooked on all this guff. He's bought into literally every conspiracy theory going:- twin towers, alien abduction, Maddie McCann, Trump, Plandemic, climate science denial, all of it. He's anti-vax which is a huge concern given his situation:- age 77, obese, high blood pressure and COPD sufferer!

Problem is you can't reason him out of these beliefs as it's not reason that's got him there in the first place. I really believe that some kind of mental illness is at play here.

Hmm...Boxing Day will be fun :(

I think that is the worst part, you could sit these people down in a non threatening environment with world leading experts politely explaining to them why they are wrong, and they still wouldn't have it.

Yes I've just watched this too, absolutely astonishing the rubbish people believe, and the links to the Republicans. Worrying too that the same thing seems to be happening here if the UK nutjobs interviewed at the end are anything to go by. The curse of the internet.

The thing that terrifies me is not so much that such a substantial number of people are gullible, illogical and as such malleable, that’s pretty much a given, but that the Republican Party are just so happy to utilise this cult to undermine and erode any existing democracy or accountability that may still remain in the USA.

I’d love to know exactly who planted the initial seed for this bullshit on 4Chan. The whole thing seems like a series of highly improbable troll shitposts that has gone viral to simply absurd proportions. It is just insane. Just zero evidence for any of it.

Social media is at least 50% to blame, you can pick and choose your news sources so all you see is one big circle jerk of nutjobbery 24/7.

It then becomes 'us and them' and there's no backing down from that, they'll defend their team with their dying breath.

Social media is at least 50% to blame, you can pick and choose your news sources so all you see is one big circle jerk of nutjobbery 24/7.

It then becomes 'us and them' and there's no backing down from that, they'll defend their team with their dying breath.

They’ve been booted off the mainstream platforms to a large degree, even their saviour Trump was hoofed off Facebook, Twitter etc. That obviously moves them onto the real echo chambers; platforms they have created/financed themselves, or pre-existing conspiracy sites etc. One could argue that mainstream censorship actually pushes them ever-further away from rationality.

One could argue that mainstream censorship actually pushes them ever-further away from rationality.

Indeed, it reinforces their belief; if there's nothing in it then no need for censorship, so the censorship "proves" their position. And if you try to argue from a mainstream media ("lamestream media") point of view then you are just "sheeple".

They’ve been booted off the mainstream platforms to a large degree, even their saviour Trump was hoofed off Facebook, Twitter etc. That obviously moves them onto the real echo chambers; platforms they have created/financed themselves, or pre-existing conspiracy sites etc. One could argue that mainstream censorship actually pushes them ever-further away from rationality.

There's loads of it still all over twitter, and presumably Facebook. Getting rid of Trump off there doesn't stop it, like you say it just makes it worse as it plays into their conspiracy.

I watched it too. What baffles me is how nobody was able to trace the original 'Q' , whether that it an individual or a group. According to the prog 'Q' stopped posting recently.

Edit. Sorry. Didn' read the above first.

“…Watkins, the former administrator of the platform where the creator of the QAnon conspiracy theory posted, told Hoback, "It was basically three years of intelligence training, teaching normies how to do intelligence work. It was basically what I was doing anonymously before, but never as Q," Watkins said, but immediately tried to backtrack on the statement, adding: "Never as Q. I promise. I am not Q."

"Ron had slipped up," Hoback said in the episode. "He knew it, and I knew it — and after three tireless years of cat and mouse." By saying he was "anonymously" involved with the QAnon world, Watkins appeared to leak that he may have been acting as "Q," the anonymous figure who ran the theory with messages on 8kun, owned by Watkins' father.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/qanon-slip-up-man-behind-q-into-storm-hbo-documentary-2021-4

Did I mention that he has moved to Arizona and wants to run for Congress? o_O

I’d like to see the HBO documentary, hopefully it will turn up on UK TV at some point.

"No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people." - H. L. Mencken

I was very surprised when a hippie friend came out quoting qanon stuff last year, but it turns out the wellness industry has jumped in headfirst. Scary.

advertisement

Back