advertisement

By how much should the Bank of England increase interest rates in a traditional monetarist economy

This article by economist Angus Deaton is a reasoned disavowal of the anti-social economics of the last 50 years. Maybe, just maybe, economics is waking up to the catastrophic social effects that these worshippers of 'market efficiency' have inflicted on Western societies.
Like many others, I have recently found myself changing my mind...
After economists on the left bought into the Chicago School’s deference to markets—“we are all Friedmanites now”—social justice became subservient to markets, and a concern with distribution was overruled by attention to the average, often nonsensically described as the “national interest.”
Like most of my age cohort, I long regarded unions as a nuisance ... and welcomed their slow demise. But today large corporations have too much power... Unions once raised wages for members and nonmembers, they were an important part of social capital in many places, and they brought political power to working people in the workplace and in local, state, and federal governments. Their decline is contributing to the falling wage share, to the widening gap between executives and workers, to community destruction, and to rising populism.

This article by economist Angus Deaton is a reasoned disavowal of the anti-social economics of the last 50 years. Maybe, just maybe, economics is waking up to the catastrophic social effects that these worshippers of 'market efficiency' have inflicted on Western societies.

“Economists could benefit by greater engagement with the ideas of philosophers, historians, and sociologists, just as Adam Smith once did”.

“Monetary policy is not a mechanism to control inflation.

I hate to point out the obvious, but someone has to do it.”

advertisement

Back