advertisement

Buying from Craigslist?

heihei

pfm Member
Anyone bought hifi kit from Craigslist?

Seems there is some interesting kit on there, some of which being priced quite a bit below other sources. The lack of trust (either Ebay ratings or feedback on forums like this) worries me somewhat though.

My advice would be to stay clear of anything on Craigslist I've been caught out once and thats enough. If you want to see if they are for real say you will only pay when you pick them up and I doubt if you will hear from them again. Also if you right click on the photo and ask Google to look for other photos the results might surprise you, one was from a photo from this site but 10 yrs ago. Its the same with HiFi Shark if buying from abroad! Good luck

Anyone bought hifi kit from Craigslist?

Seems there is some interesting kit on there, some of which being priced quite a bit below other sources. The lack of trust (either Ebay ratings or feedback on forums like this) worries me somewhat though.

If it seems too good to be true.........

I agree with all of the above.

A year or two back I enquired about ATC 150s and JBL Everests, from separate sellers. In both cases I was told that cash on collection was not possible and bank transfer in advance was the only deal they would accept.

When I asked if I could view the ATCs, on London Craigslist, I was told they were in Aberdeen.

Caution needed.

Jim.

Caution doesn't adequately describe it. As already stated, be very careful indeed, including attending an address to buy something expensive. It's happened plenty of times: potential buyer gets suckered into a cash purchase and gets robbed on arrival.

Digging a bit more, there is a lot of dodgy stuff on there. Photos which show European mains wall plugs, photos from well-known Ebayers, etc.

I enquired about a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Anniversarios advertised on London Craigslist for £3,300. Apparently they are in Lancashire not London.

Check out Krescendo hifi's website. You will see that Richard is very specific about where he advertises and he goes on to qualify this by saying that any other site(s) do not have his permission to display items for sale using his name.
So,if you see anything on any site other than his own or e bay then it is not verifiable and to proceed with caution.
'Buff said
Andy

Bought a nice condition Technics SL-1200 via Craigslist. It was purchased locally so got to see it in person before parting with my money. $125, a fair price.

I've bought and sold a ton of stuff on Craigslist (and other classifieds sites). Have only had one bad experience where the product was shipped to me but was faulty. Face to face is best.

Face to face is safe. However, on german classifieds sites like kalaydo and quoka you will often see a lot of stuff which costs around 50-60% of average used price of any equipment. I wrote to such ads two times and no answer. It never happened if the seller was selling legitimate stuff.

Cash on collection only and take a friend, a very large one with a base ball bat is best.

i had a look at this and got cold feet.
things that are to good to be true, pictures that are from the internet, and sellers that are at the tip of scotland.

All the great stuff I spotted on Craiglist was very cheap and either in the North of Scotland or The Shetlands. This was in the "London" section

I decided to call the bluff and said I was up there quite often and could pop in, when was convenient ?
Went quiet

craigslist in the US is a bit of an institution... and really nothing to be too worried about. however i've looked on euro craigslists for things like real estate and can only assume the proportion of scammers etc. is far higher as it's never really taken off over there. but myself, i've bought and sold a lot via craigslist and never a problem... it's about the same as any local classifieds section...

advertisement

Back