advertisement

buying euros...

I would not worry too much. You are not going to out-think the world's big investors. But you might be lucky, one way or the other. And remember that each time you convert, someone is going to take a commission. Sometimes it is cheaper with a storefront money-changer than with a big bank, for whom changing small amounts of currencies is not their main job but a PIA. At least that is what I've found in Italy, Switzerland and Israel. Airports are the absolute worse place to change. Avoid at all costs!

Airports are the absolute worse place to change. Avoid at all costs!

Walk up rates can be dire so get a quote before you leave home, you'll get a massively different rate from the same outlet.

I'm largely in USD at the moment but what if Trump triumphs?

Did a nice USD to EUR deal last year.

I would not worry too much. You are not going to out-think the world's big investors. But you might be lucky, one way or the other. And remember that each time you convert, someone is going to take a commission. Sometimes it is cheaper with a storefront money-changer than with a big bank, for whom changing small amounts of currencies is not their main job but a PIA. At least that is what I've found in Italy, Switzerland and Israel. Airports are the absolute worse place to change. Avoid at all costs!

yep, but at current rates compared to even at the start of the week I'll be able ti get a few nights worth of cheap wine free of charge, so, what's not to like..? :)

I use FairFX to load a card before travelling.
Better than any walk up rates.

Better still was the Travelex currency card. No fees, no loading and interbank rates. It works as a debit card in my case because I linked it to my current account. I was in on the trial that ends in June. I shall immediately sign up when it launches fully.

For purchases in Europe I always use a Halifax Clarity credit card. No fees, no loading and interbank rates.

The Travelex and Clarity Cards are unbeatable.

CaxtonFx currency card here.

The Travelex card sounds interesting - esp the no loading and linked to a current account.

Bear in mind, apart from stealing things, many of the services ( taxis, hotels, tour guides, shoe shine ) you come to make use of can be had for nothing, through intimidation and indeed violence, if they make the mistake to think they're hard enough.

So you really won't be needing all that much Euros. You'll probably be left with plenty left over to bank, from the wedge you steal.

edit : Oh wait a minute, maybe not bank. Perhaps put it into some black market gold for the safe, plus some new metal doors and a few more mental pit-bulls for your yard.

The MoneysavingExpert site is quite good, but when you scroll down to avoid the ones with no financial cover, or high minimum spend, the rates are not much better then you can get over the counter at some places. John Lewis rates seem quite favourable for over the counter.

I usually travel with wads of cash then shop around to see which money-changer gives the best rate. My wife says I'm primitive.

Another thing you can do is take a nice BMW or Audi S4 say, drive it to the continent for free ( except for the petrol ), sell it locally there and have a ball with the money. Repeat for coming home, only in reverse.

No, please don't do that. Imagine the ensuing carnage.

CaxtonFx currency card here.

The Travelex card sounds interesting - esp the no loading and linked to a current account.

I was a Caxton user until last year.
The card stopped working whilst we were in Spain and their support was complete crap; in fact non existent.

Google Revolut; I have no idea how they make money but they have been very reliable up to now with no deductions whatever and the xe exchange rate changing in real time while you use the app.
I even used it to buy the house in Euros with no charges whatever.
In fact if you get me to recommend you I think we both earn a fiver!

Simon

I was a Caxton user until last year.
The card stopped working whilst we were in Spain and their support was complete crap; in fact non existent.

Google Revolut; I have no idea how they make money but they have been very reliable up to now with no deductions whatever and the xe exchange rate changing in real time while you use the app.
I even used it to buy the house in Euros with no charges whatever.
In fact if you get me to recommend you I think we both earn a fiver!

Simon

interesting only ever had to call on their support once and it was excellent - had a Caxton USD card stop working on me in Cambodia a few years back. They were responsive and helpful.

If you open an account with Metro Bank you can use the debit card to withdraw cash commission-free in Europe.

Likewise if you're a Santander 123 Account customer, always a competitive rate on the day.

I'd check that if I were you!

According to MSE that account is one of its accounts from hell with among the worst t & cs out there.
Used abroad it incurs: Spending penalty: £1.25 plus Load fee: 2.75% plus Cash withdrawal fee: 1.5% min £1.99 every time it is used.

I'd check that if I were you!

According to MSE that account is one of its accounts from hell with among the worst t & cs out there.
Used abroad it incurs: Spending penalty: £1.25 plus Load fee: 2.75% plus Cash withdrawal fee: 1.5% min £1.99 every time it is used.

I suggest you may wish to double check that if I were you! Perhaps Martin's site isn't quite up to speed! (in terms of what's available to a 123 Account holder).

Cheers...Dave (a bloke who uses a Fairfax and a Halifax Clarity card as well).

You can only open an account in branch and they are only in the South, mainly in London.

Indeed. I opened an account at the High Wycombe branch (80 miles from home) on my way to the Channel. But it only took 30 minutes and I was using the card in France later the same day.

I suggest you may wish to double check that if I were you! Perhaps Martin's site isn't quite up to speed! (in terms of what's available to a 123 Account holder).

Cheers...Dave (a bloke who uses a Fairfax and a Halifax Clarity card as well).

It appears Santander's website isn't up to speed either then.
All I can find is an introductory free fee offer for their credit card that ends in December 2016.

If you can refer me to where their debit card has no fees at all in Europe I'd be grateful. I might well sign up.

advertisement

Back