advertisement

Buying a used item from the USA - advice please

trumpetman

pfm Member
Hi

Some advice please. I've located a used trumpet part in the USA that I've been looking for - for a long time!

The chap wants $125 for it which is an absolute bargain + shipping

Questions in my head before I say yes

• Best way to pay
  • Best way for him to ship to UK- reliable firms suggestions please
  • Will I be subject to import duty? (not a problem, but how does it all happen?)
Or shall I walk away as there are too many risks since brexit?

Thanks

Nigel

Pay via PayPal on your CC

Get him to ship via UPS tracked & insured

That's what I've done in the past for certain rare Honda car parts that I couldn't source in the UK etc

Never any issues :)

Brexit has nowt to do with importing from USA, it’s same system as it ever was, you’ll pay VAT plus Duty plus Admin fees, rough guess add 25%.

I have TT parts costing several $hundred on the way from Texas as I type, paid by PayPal linked to UK Credit Card, guy is using UPS fully tracked+insured costing me $64.

Been importing stuff since the days of Laserdisc and cannot recall ever having a problem unlike recently bringing stuff in from the EU after Brexshite.

About 15 years ago I, on a couple of occasions, ordered second hand train magazines from a seller in the US. Mot much money involved, I sent him cash in an envelope.

Now the fun part. On both occasions the package, we are talking 10 or 12 magazines, arrived to my home in a LARGE gray mail bag (the type, according to Hollywood movies, that are made in prisons), courtesy of USPS.

More serious. I regulary order model railroad stuff from US of A, when possible I use USPS as they are the cheapest. It has never failed in over 20 years.

Brexit has nowt to do with importing from USA, it’s same system as it ever was, you’ll pay VAT plus Duty plus Admin fees, rough guess add 25%..

what are the costs of buying secondhand from the USA? Are you saying you pay import duty PLUS VAT? If so what rate of VAT?

advertisement

Back