advertisement

Butthole Surfers

@Big Tabs we had that Nailbomb album recommended on the metal thread, iirc. Tbh I'd never heard of it & sought it out on YouTube .. very good if I recall, a mash up with a Pantera bass chap & someone else on gtr (looked like a hipster in comparison)-? Hardcore-metal or so. My punker friend said oh yes a benchmark 'must have' album it is. A bit much for me perhaps but clears the sinuses for sure!

Capt

I played Locust Abortion Technician earlier. Quite the racket.

Haha. I dug out piouhgd- this was bang in my heyday mid-late 80's.

This pic on the back always makes me laugh..

C996-DCC4-F8-C0-44-DA-A272-C5-AE7-A43-FCE4.jpg

Capt

@foxwelljsly I'm a great fan of Jesus Lizard too, I love playing Goat for eg loud as fk on my Lp12. Sounds lovely.

David Yow I'd be less terrified of, in fact he's got a very healthy sense of humour indeed- friend of Britt Walford, Slint founder/ drummer, & pops up in their fantastic 'Breadcrumb Trail' doco I'm sure you're familiar with (on YouTube folks if you're not- this & 'We Jam Econo' /the story of the minutemen.. are two freebie music doco rip-snorters).

Capt
I had to do a double take when I saw him suddenly appear in a film. Acting. To be fair, it was a bloodthirsty horror film about a gang of psychotic nazi bikers led by Patrick Stewart, so David Yow may have been the least surprising thing in it.

Off topic, That Nailbomb album didn't leave my Walkman when it came out (94 maybe?). Sepultura's Max Cavelera and Fudge Tunnel's Alex Newport. A great side project.

They played Reading in 1989, on the Sunday at about 6pm as I recall. Truly astonishing, particularly the first minute or so when the entire contents of the stage was dismantled in a wall of noise. I had never seen anything remotely like it, and haven't since. And I remember the singer of the preceding band, Voice of the Beehive, mentioning at the end of their set 'up next, Butthole Surfers, don't miss that' or words to that effect. Was she ever right.

Saw them a number of times back in the day. Chipped my front tooth in the mosh pit at the Town and Country Gig in Kentish Town.

There was an infamous one at the Mean Fiddler mid 80s where they said there were tickets on the door and there wasn't. A mini riot ensued between the police and those that didn't get in. Seem to remember having the car taken apart by the police afterwards searching for drugs.

Probably reasonable to assume anyone at a Surfers gig might be on something. We weren't though.

Off topic, That Nailbomb album didn't leave my Walkman when it came out (94 maybe?). Sepultura's Max Cavelera and Fudge Tunnel's Alex Newport. A great side project.

Ah yes Sepultura chap, not Pantera. Fudge Tunnel.. had an album once, but the band name kinda put me off playing it!

So I saw The Jack Officers then, not Buttholes, it seems.. but they -were- playing buttholes songs though.

Anyway I just missed out on their heyday shows then, sigh. I was 15-17 in 86-88.. just before my gig days. Damn the shows sound legendary too. I guess we all have regrets at not seeing great bands, when we possibly could've.

I hope this current crop of journo articles doesn't mean they're reforming cos their so skint & bored. Then a new album of Surfers' love songs, on Geffen or something! Nooooo....

advertisement

Back