advertisement

Butterfly

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Building a library offered an interesting first choice in Pappano’s Butterfly yesterday. For me, the glory of this recording is Pappano’s conducting. Supple, delicate and responsive to the emotions of the text and story. Gheorghiu is predictably very good but Kaufman’s inflexible, wrought iron voice appears miscast. He has none of the Italianate lyricism essential in these roles. Other cast members are merely adequate. I much prefer the Karajan early seventies recording.A lovingly rendered performance that enshrined two principal voices at the height of their powers and playing and conducting of the highest order. I’ll never be without Scotto, Callas, Tebaldi or the near ideal simplicity and plangency of De Los Angeles but I though the Pappano a curious choice despite its strengths.

Haven't listened to it yet. I have that Pappano recording, its good, but its the John Barbirolli/Renata Scotto recording that does it for me.

Haven't listened to it yet. I have that Pappano recording, its good, but its the John Barbirolli/Renata Scotto recording that does it for me.
Me too, it came in at 3. Runner up was Karajan / Freni, which happens to be the other recording I have.

Virtually every excerpt they played was pretty good though.

I love its spontaneity. Still feels fresh today. Scotto is a somewhat overlooked diva. I really like her Desdemona as well.

Building a library offered an interesting first choice in Pappano’s Butterfly yesterday. For me, the glory of this recording is Pappano’s conducting. Supple, delicate and responsive to the emotions of the text and story. Gheorghiu is predictably very good but Kaufman’s inflexible, wrought iron voice appears miscast. He has none of the Italianate lyricism essential in these roles. Other cast members are merely adequate. I much prefer the Karajan early seventies recording.A lovingly rendered performance that enshrined two principal voices at the height of their powers and playing and conducting of the highest order. I’ll never be without Scotto, Callas, Tebaldi or the near ideal simplicity and plangency of De Los Angeles but I though the Pappano a curious choice despite its strengths.
The Karajan, Vienna, Pavarotti (even with his flaws),Freni, Ludwig for Decca is my touchstone.
Puccini: Madama Butterfly https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000041S8?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I found Karajan’s Boheme unbearable due to Pavarotti
La Boheme (Von Karajan, Pavarotti) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001C4Q7IM?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Karajan, Vienna, Pavarotti (even with his flaws),Freni, Ludwig for Decca is my touchstone.
Puccini: Madama Butterfly https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000041S8?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I found Karajan’s Boheme unbearable due to Pavarotti
La Boheme (Von Karajan, Pavarotti) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001C4Q7IM?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Boheme has to be Beecham, Bjorling, De Los Angeles

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A slight digression, forty years ago I created my first bucket list and opera in London went on it. Tickets were bought and then a vinyl box set as I thought it a good idea to learn the music and the story from the libretto first. I did my homework and off I went to enjoy, it was Madame Butterfly of course, only to hear it sung in English and I need not have bothered. It was the ENO of course and it hadn’t occurred to me!

I would have to dig the box set out to tell you which one it was. Back on topic…

As the programme started, I said to my wife, Karajan has been the touchstone for 50 years and is likely to be the choice today. In the event, runner up, by the closest of margins according to the reviewer. It’s still my favourite.
I also used to like the Barbirolli, Scotto version which I had years ago. Unfortunately it disappeared mysteriously and has never reappeared although I still curiously have the card slip case which I have kept in hope of the return of its contents!

I found mine tonight, this one:

A beautifully sung performance. Tebaldi is a little more stately and and matronly perhaps though her magnificent voice and absolute sincerity bring a special quality to her performance and Bergonzi is an ideal Pinkerton for me, a prince among tenors and still one of the greatest IMO.

We had the young Samoan tenor Pene Pati in Berlioz's Damnation of Faust at Symphony Hall last Saturday. He was terrific (the whole thing got 5 star reviews) and will return as Pinkerton in June.

If the Cio-Cio San (Japanese soprano Maki Mori) and Sharpless (Christopher Purves) are as good it will be an evening to remember. The semi-staged Cunning Little Vixen at Symphony Hall worked really well, and Kazuki Yamada will be in his element...

advertisement

Back