advertisement

But does it make music?

TLS

pfm Member
Hi,

There is much arguments in pfm related to the importance for audio gear to provide PRAT. Do you consider that sources, amplifiers and loudspeakers that does not possess PRAT more than anything else cannot make music?

Ok, let's be politically incorrect here : Can other than Naim and a LP 12 gear make music?

I think PRAT is a much over-used and over-hyped term. Doubtless if equipment can convey a sense of rhythm that's A GOOD THING. However, chasing this one aspect of reproduction would be folly in my opinion - especially at the price of much of the gear we all listen to - in the same way that chasing accuracy or detail would be. Balance is the word that applies, I think.

Of course equipment other than Linn/Naim can make music! Both companies have made some stinkers over the years along with the many great things they've made.

Finally, ask yourself the Zappa question: Am I having fun yet?

Hi,

There is much arguments in pfm related to the importance for audio gear to provide PRAT. Do you consider that sources, amplifiers and loudspeakers that does not possess PRAT more than anything else cannot make music?

Ok, let's be politically incorrect here : Can other than Naim and a LP 12 gear make music?

Is that a serious question?

If so, then I'm happy to answer. As it happens, I AM an ex Linn/Naim owner and now have something that to me sounds far more like real music and far less like it has a synthetic sheen over it complete with a deliberate "enhancement" to give it more "punch and groove".

No.

Linn and Naim have the advertising and marketing locked up on that one and have done for a few decades.

They both are religious sects with a devoted following and Naim have that magic pixie dust.

What is true to say is that for a couple of grand you can put a wicked system together that I do believe will play music like nothing else

For example LP12/Valhalla/Ittok Naim 12/160 Kans or Epos ES14s.

And that is where the magic lies with the Flat Earth approach.

Hi,

No naim here but lots of music!

I have a second system consisting of rega sources and linn Lk amplification, it makes superb music. Main system is all linn of course :D

I also think this is an over-hyped term.

HOWEVER

I've also heard a number of systems that didn't 'time' and they invariably make music sound pointless. Beautiful, detailed, and with huge soundstage... yes. But completely bereft of the music making any kind of musical point.

The problem is, I don't think this is something uniquely to do with magic beans grown in Salisbury or Glasgow. I've heard alarm clocks that 'time' better than some real esoterica, both foreign and domestic. I've also heard high-end Americana that 'plays a tune' better than anything black and green. It may be something to do with the room. It may be something to do with me. It may be something to do with bass, in that generally the systems that 'time' (and I hate all kinds of terms for this - PRaT, a system that times or carries a tune or any other description, but in the absence of anything more in line with what the phenomenon is, 'time' has to do) also seem to be bass light. But I'd bet the next system I hear disproves that theory one way or another.

I think there's something deeper here than first seen. I don't believe there's any link between this phenomenon and measurement, or rather no identified link between the two, which tends to result in a haughty dismissal of the whole concept from the meter-maids. Empirically though, there are systems that do 'time' and systems that don't. I just don't know why - which should be the jumping off point for genuine inquiry, instead of the usual reactionary clap-trap.

I also think this is an over-hyped term.

HOWEVER

I've also heard a number of systems that didn't 'time' and they invariably make music sound pointless. Beautiful, detailed, and with huge soundstage... yes. But completely bereft of the music making any kind of musical point.

The problem is, I don't think this is something uniquely to do with magic beans grown in Salisbury or Glasgow. I've heard alarm clocks that 'time' better than some real esoterica, both foreign and domestic. I've also heard high-end Americana that 'plays a tune' better than anything black and green. It may be something to do with the room. It may be something to do with me. It may be something to do with bass, in that generally the systems that 'time' (and I hate all kinds of terms for this - PRaT, a system that times or carries a tune or any other description, but in the absence of anything more in line with what the phenomenon is, 'time' has to do) also seem to be bass light. But I'd bet the next system I hear disproves that theory one way or another.

I think there's something deeper here than first seen. I don't believe there's any link between this phenomenon and measurement, or rather no identified link between the two, which tends to result in a haughty dismissal of the whole concept from the meter-maids. Empirically though, there are systems that do 'time' and systems that don't. I just don't know why - which should be the jumping off point for genuine inquiry, instead of the usual reactionary clap-trap.

I have keltiks, they ain't bass light but they do time! I have looked and listened to other speakers but I don't think the keltiks are going anywhere soon.

Hi,

So sad to read something like this, almost hard to believe that its been typed out (and I mean this in the nicest possible way, I am sure you are a very decent person etc.). It's living proof of just how brainwashed and just how the narrow and restricted the uk market has been for the past 4 decades or more. From my standpoint, its akin to someone stepping into a forum and asking "is there more to life than blowing yuorself up or flying big planes into tall skyscrapers ?".

Do you honestly think that the likes of Burmester, Densen, Croft, Ayre, Avalon, ARC, Conrad Johnson, Classe, D'Agnostino, magico, Wilson, Avalon, Esoteric, Kondo, Shindo, Lamm, Soulution, MBL, McIntosh, ModWright, Dynavector, Pass labs, Shroeder, Vitus, Plinius, Einstein, Technical Brain, Sonis Faber, Vanderstein, Reimyo, Dartzeel, Revel, mark levinson, Davin Benning, Jeff Rowland, Brinkman, Amazon, Kharma, Magnepan, Meridian, Rockport, Spectral, Karan, VTL, Wadia etc. can't make music or can't do rhythm, timing, drive and lack the ability to involve ?

In the last 3 years I've lost count of all the hundreds of bits of kit I've listened to whether that be in my own walls or at customers houses. I honestly can't remember the last time i heard anything that didn't have 'prat'. Sure, there was the odd treacley lemon or a poorly designed system here and there but in most instances I could hear music and it was musical and enjoyable and involving and made your foot tap. In fact if anything, I would say that it's some of naims modern pieces which made themselves conspicious for lacking pratt, with some of the classic range for example being a curious blend of a new world sound with a bit more soundstage, tone and dimensionality whilst still partially retaining the old Vereker era ethics. I have to say the result can be fairly bland in some instances and very much 'neither fish nor foul'. I heard a 4 box wadia stack the week before I went on holidays through Audio research pre and power and a set of Wilsons. It had dynamics, drive, speed and sheer kick in the teeth energy that would embarrass an active DBL setup, and that's before you start talking about transparency, tonal colour, soundstaging and holography (the ARC's strengths and stuff that the naim system wouldn't know about).

As for the modern day LP12, it's a good turntable of a certain flavour. Another set of compromises and a resultant solution. There are worse turntables than it, better ones and different ones. It most definitely does not have any monopoly on prat or involvement. If you listen to a good Garrard, a Kodo Beat or a 3 motor raven AC for example it will positively out-prat an lP12SE rendering it almost lifeless by comparison. Go back 30 years and the Xerxes did the same with far more energy and speed. This, from someone who sells in excess of 50 secondhand LP12's a year. Go figure.

Like any manufacturer, they make good and bad, gems and rocks and when all is said and done, they are just another 'sound' that may or may not be to your tastes. They don't have any monopoly on Prat or involvement or musicality. Go onto Wigwam and you will find out that the people who like linn and naim you can count on one hand. Many folk there hate its sound with a passion and worship at the altar of barnds like Kondo instead.

Now comes the footnote. When some people talk about prat, they are actually not sure what they are referring to but are in reality talking about the sound of vintage naim olive and chrome bumper amps. This is not a reference to the theory of hifi or an acceptable term that can be applied to other equipment, it bears zero relevance to the wolrd of musical replay. It's just a direct reference to the old naim voicing, one manufacturer out of many hundreds, many many moons ago. This was a very specific sound, a very old one now which naim have partially moved away from themselves. It is a sound that is tuned to favour a sharp, fast leading edge at the expense of a notes decay and duration, timbral information and out and out resolution. The midband is emphasised and the bass pulled back to pronounce the details, speed and tune of the sound with an overall lean presentation. When you know how Julian Vereker listened to his music and what he listened to the jigsaw fits together and you can better understand how this was the sound he believed in and developed. The day he passed away the bean counters came in and they made a big move away from that core philosophy. If that's what you mean by 'Prat' and that's what you look for in hifi then IMO stick with it. I am not against that sound, hell I sell it everyday, and I completely agree with Gaius in that a lot of those classic 80's/90's systems are still tremendously enjoyable. But do not be misled into thinking that its the only way to listen to music, the pinnacle of home replay or the only way you can have large amounts of involvement, musicality and emotion. As hugely enjoyable as the old 205 GTi was, cars didn't stop there and if you happened clear your misty eyes, wave away the nostalgia and get a test drive in say a current day Ferrari F458 I think you'd be in for a bit of a shock as to what else is also possible these days.

So to answer the original question, yes, loads of gear can and does make music. In fact, to enhance musical enjoyment, involvement, suspension of disbelief you have to actually acquire the very facets of sound reproduction that the flat earthers so strongly negated. Yes, you need the drive and rhythm thing, no question about that and its a given, but there are whole other levels to reach... not least removing distortion, hardness, glare, bleached tones, truncated notes, grain etc. that exists in almost every solid state system you care to mention.

Honestly, spoken from the heart. It's in my interests to BIG UP lp12's and naim but I engage with this place neutrally and honestly. Naim make good and bad. Some folk like it and plenty of folk don't. It's the same with pretty much all brands.

Listen to all you can, choose what you like and be happy.

I agree with you lotus, I have heard a lot of great kit from a range of makers.

Steven toy's system is far from flat earth, consisting of a macbook pro, audiolab 8200 CDQ, ? Valve amps and tannoy kensingtons. It sounded great to me, I could have listened to that for a long time.

Grommit's system too, consisted of a macbook pro, teac dac, sony ES770 amp, q acoustics 2010 speakers, bags of fun.

A system I was very tempted to buy was a Rega Isis/Osiris/P9, monitor audio PL300's, I think I'll just stick with what I have though.

Thank you for this insightful writing lotus340r. I didn't hear 100's of different systems but from my own experience with a few brands that you stated above, i'm sharing your conclusions about this recurrent 'only .... can play a tune'. Sometimes a brutal question just have to be asked!

I would say that Lotus 340r nails that topic. The UK is rather insular.In fact one very successful dealer recently surprised me with his observation. What he said,and I'm sure it does not apply to anyone reading this thread, was the following.

''I get contacted all the time by potential customers; I can tell the ones who come from the forums because they have a strange combination of qualities. They seem to think they know everything, and in actual fact they are strikingly ignorant, they know almost nothing.''

I think he is wrong, not least because I use the forums, and he was presumably including me in that remark. But let's be honest, the UK scene can be very parochial. There are whole worlds of Audio hobbyists out there, we are only vaguely aware of (such as the lively scene in central and eastern Europe.) So yes, Lotus 340r is right.

TLS,

The key here seems to be the word "only" from your description. Naim and Linn have never been the "only" ones who've got kit capable of revealing PR&T (nor is PR&T the only attribute of the gear made by those same two manufacturers.) Both companies will tell you the same if you just ask them.

File it away with another Internet myth like "leading edges" which could only imply a high frequency transient overshoot and easily caught on a test bench. You'd do yourself a huge favor if you disregard everything you read about in hifi forums or magazines and trust your own ears or contact a manufacturer direct if you have a question about their products or how they operate.

regards,

dave

P.S. Whether PR&T defines "making music" or not is an individual's opinion. I think most would agree if your hifi keeps you up all night playing tunes vs watching TV it's doing its job correctly.

If by 'making music' you mean what musicians produce when using musical instruments, then, the LP 12 is certainly not the best way to start with.
Why? Because it is only capable of reproducing the less reliable and more limited media that some call vinyl. :)

I do suspect that one day, concert halls will have two rooms.

One for the people wanting to watch it live.
Another one with windows sound proof, for the purists that need to listen to it through a record playing on a turntable, the only one capable of 'making music'.
;)

Michael

Serge,

Totally agree. Until someone comes up with some convincing units to measure PRAT with, I'll continue to think it a fiction. Just like all the other subjective nonsenses.
PRaT is assessed through FEPs, a validated and fully objective measure.

Joe

Serge,

PRaT is assessed through FEPs, a validated and fully objective measure.

Joe

LOL...I wouldn't call it fictitious as Serge does but I do agree it's inadequate just like every other audiophile descriptor.

Carmel-y tube amps? How much caramel would that be and is that too much or not enough? Who gets to decide and why are they right and the rest of us wrong?

Btw...what does a "steep wavefront" sound like vs a non-steep wavefront and should I be making notes about whichever one is deemed bad and report it to the Internet maybe?

Dave,

I don't know about caramel-y tube amps. Mine is very fishy.

Joe

PRaT, or at least the constituent parts clearly exist.
Equipment designed to accentuate, emphasise or downplay these aspects also exists - so yes it's a valid hi-fi terminology and it definitely exists.

What it isn't is magic.

You can deliberately choose and alter design parameters to give improved PRaT. All of the information still exists, and say a source renowned for good 'timing' isn't actually altering the timing within the signal, but it can alter the way you the listener perceive this information depending on how it's packaged.

However for every positive there is a negative, and if a system or component 'packages' the sound in such such a way as to overly emphasise what we perceive as PRaT, others areas of performance will suffer subjectively.

Measurists take note. You cannot and should not tell people what to like, only attempt to explain why they like it.

advertisement

Back