advertisement

Burndy extraction tool - where to buy

rize

pfm Member
Anyone know where I can buy one to replace a shorted wire on a SNAXO2-4 burndy? Part number would be very helpful.

narrow drinking straw might just do it as a one off at considerably less cost.

Doubt it. the retainers on these contacts are quite strong, in my experience. Worth a try though. Another possibility is if you have or know some one with a lathe It wouldn`t be very hard to make a tube with the required thin wall.

If you were UK based i would lend you mine..

The pins do need a good shove with the tool to release them so i doubt anything other than a suitably sized metal device will do the job

The cheaper ITT Cannon Extraction Tool
For Use with:
1003-1199-ND - CONTACT PIN 20-22AWG CRIMP GOLD
1003-1198-ND - SOCKET 20-22AWG CRIMP GOLD FLASH
1003-1197-ND - PIN 16-20AWG CRIMP GOLD FLASH
1003-1196-ND - SOCKET 16-18AWG CRIMP GOLD FLASH
1003-1195-ND - PIN 14-16AWG CRIMP GOLD FLASH
1003-1194-ND - SOCKET 14-16AWG CRIMP GOLD FLASH

The expensive Souriau Extraction Tool
For Use with:
SM20M-6TK6-ND - CONTACT PIN 20-22AWG
SOU1647-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 16-20AWG GOLD
SOU1646-ND - CONT SKT 24AWG MONOCRIMP TWIST
SOU1262CT-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 24-26AWG TIN
SOU1261CT-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 20-22AWG TIN
SOU1260CT-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 16-18AWG TIN
SOU1259CT-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 14AWG TIN
SOU1258CT-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 24-26AWG TIN
SOU1257CT-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 20-22AWG TIN
SOU1256CT-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 16-18AWG TIN
SOU1255CT-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 14AWG TIN
SOU1254CT-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 24-26AWG GOLD
SOU1253CT-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 20-22AWG GOLD
SOU1252CT-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 16-18AWG GOLD
SOU1251CT-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 14AWG GOLD
SOU1250CT-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 24-26AWG GOLD
SOU1249CT-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 20-22AWG GOLD
SOU1248CT-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 16-18AWG GOLD
SOU1247CT-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 14AWG GOLD
SOU1262TR-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 24-26AWG TIN
SOU1262-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 24-26AWG TIN
SOU1261TR-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 20-22AWG TIN
SOU1261-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 20-22AWG TIN
SOU1260TR-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 16-18AWG TIN
SOU1260-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 16-18AWG TIN
SOU1259TR-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 14AWG TIN
SOU1259-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 14AWG TIN
SOU1258TR-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 24-26AWG TIN
SOU1258-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 24-26AWG TIN
SOU1257TR-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 20-22AWG TIN
SOU1257-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 20-22AWG TIN
SOU1256TR-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 16-18AWG TIN
SOU1256-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 16-18AWG TIN
SOU1255TR-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 14AWG TIN
SOU1255-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 14AWG TIN
SOU1254TR-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 24-26AWG GOLD
SOU1254-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 24-26AWG GOLD
SOU1253TR-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 20-22AWG GOLD
SOU1253-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 20-22AWG GOLD
SOU1252TR-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 16-18AWG GOLD
SOU1252-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 16-18AWG GOLD
SOU1251TR-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 14AWG GOLD
SOU1251-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 14AWG GOLD
SOU1250TR-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 24-26AWG GOLD
SOU1250-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 24-26AWG GOLD
SOU1249TR-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 20-22AWG GOLD
SOU1249-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 20-22AWG GOLD
SOU1248TR-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 16-18AWG GOLD
SOU1248-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 16-18AWG GOLD
SOU1247TR-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 14AWG GOLD
SOU1247-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 14AWG GOLD
SOU1240-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 20-22AWG GOLD
SOU1239-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 20-22AWG GOLD
SOU1238-ND - CONTACT PIN CRIMP 16-20AWG GOLD
SOU1237-ND - CONTACT SKT CRIMP 16-20AWG GOLD

If you were UK based i would lend you mine..

Thank you that's very generous. I just received my extraction tool from Digi-Key http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=192922-1450&x=10&y=13

Barrymagrec's recommendation is spot on. This tool costs $13.75 in the US and works very well on SNAXO burndy pins. Slight push on the pin with the plunger while applying a slight tug on the wire from the harness side - out comes the pin. Re-insertion doesn't require a tool. Pin&wire is pushed into connector cavity from the harness end - it clicks back into place.

Glad it worked - hopefully, having the tool will mean you never have to do such a repair again. That alone makes it worth the money.

Well if it definitely works then I shall be adding one to my next Farnell order!

I've always resisted buying the Souriau tool on the basis of cost.

Thanks for the Info

burndy002.jpg

burndywires003.jpg

scapburndypins.jpg

I doubt I'll ever be able to repair this cable because it's looks like a very professional job of assembling the wires, the mesh sleeve and the cable-shaking machine ;).

I used this cable with my SNAXO 2-4 which was in fine working condition. I sold my SBL and SNAXO. Later I sold the SNAXO burndy cable to a different buyer who reported problems, so I had to take it back. When it arrived from the unhappy customer, I discovered pin P (0V SWHG, black wire) which is GRND had no continuity. The other 16 wires checked out OK. To my surprise there was an extra wire in the harness with no pins on either end. It looked like it had been snipped off. To this day I don't know the purpose of this extra wire - maybe it was a filler to keep the harness snug or a spare :confused:. BTW it does have continuity. When I had the SNAXO I never had to test wires because everything worked fine. The individual who purchased my SNAXO never reported any problems.

Following my sales mishap I sent this cable to Naim North Amexica for repair. Their diagnosis was it didn't work because one of the wires was snipped off. They couldn't repair because they didn't have the tooling and I was advised to send it to the UK factory. Of course the cost of S&H and repair was likely to exceed the cost of another used cable. In the mean time I was asked if I was interested in keeping my cable. Really :confused: Since the cable wasn't any good and I didn't know which side was up why not donate it to NANA? I am not sure if this was the company culture or predatory behavior of one individual. I wasn't in a charitable mood so I kept the cable.

I may be wrong but my uneducated guess is the snipped off wire with missing pins was not a problem. I say this because both connector ends of the cable have 17 pins present which is the mfg spec. All pins except the Ground pin (black wire) have continuity. I ruled out solder failure at the ground wire pins. I probed directly into the ground wire from each end but still have no continuity. There's however continuity between the mesh sleeve & ground pin on the directional marker end - the connector that goes to S-CAP.

- Can anyone please confirm there should be continuity between the ground pins of the SNAXO burndy?

- Can anyone explain the ground pin&wire configuration - it's relationship to the mesh sleeve and the ground pin on the opposite end?

If I destroy the outer casing, it'll probably be easier to investigate in more detail. The question is how to put the harness back into a new outer casing - is this possible with shrink tubing?

Apologies for being long winded and pedantic. Worst case scenario I will donate this cable to Salvation Army or Humane Society before I give it back to the "businessmen" I bought it from.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

The cable used is 18 conductor with a screen, so for a 17 way lead 16 of the 18 will be used (the 2 others cut short so as not to cause a short circuit) and the screen braid extended with a piece of wire and connector for the 0.

The snipped off wire is simply wound with the screen but is far too thin to be used as a current carrying conductor in my opinion. Even though the currents are small the total of everything else in that lead is carried back to 0v through the screen. The analogue 0v in the plug body is a short wire soldered to the screen underneath the glued heatshrink. For some reason though the cables I've seen have had this 0v wire a little shorter than the others. With repeated insertions or movement guess which one breaks first? And an earth is that last thing you want to lose.
I've seen this fault before on these cables. An intermittent earth caused a 52 to work most of the time then just fade out. I refused to believe it was an earth fault first but confirmed it by lack of continuity between the star earth in the supercap and 52. To the extreme, I've seen a bad earth on the PSU of a NAP180 cause speaker frying oscillation so it's something you need to be aware of.

All 17 conductors of this burndy should test for continuity both ends.
It is a lovely made cable but I can make a better sounding one for far less money.

For some reason though the cables I've seen have had this 0v wire a little shorter than the others. With repeated insertions or movement guess which one breaks first?

Correction to my earlier statement on faulty black wire pin position. It's the pin marked with letter N (0V) and not letter P (0V SWHG).

Yes ... the 0V wire soldered to the screen is shorter and with movement or bending there has to be more stress on this wire than the others. When I had the SNAXO, I had space constraints which must have caused the failiure. Lesson learned ... keep the Naim burndy cables free of tension and contact with anything else which is noted in their user documentation.

Is the outer shell of the burndy shrink tubing? How do they get so many wires in there packed so tight?

The cable is a military spec 18 core screened cable. The insulation is removed and the braid exposed to make the earth (0v) connection, this messy end now sheathed with heatshrink to make it tidy. The burndy plug comes as an insert and a body.

If the burndy is running a Snaxo 2-4 then you actually don't need all the rails the Burndy carries.

This would mean that you ought to be able to repurpose one of the unused rail conductors to be a new earth instead. That would be a lot cheaper and easier than making a whole new cable I'd have thought, but it sounds as though you really only need to re make a joint from the screeen to the pin with a short piece of wire.

I can't believe NANA couldn't sort it out - they might as well hang up a big sign saying "we are crap"!

I can't believe NANA couldn't sort it out - they might as well hang up a big sign saying "we are crap"!

>>>>> From: "Service Department, Naim USA" It appears that the black conductor "N" on the SNAXO >>>>> (destination) end of the Burndy has been cut (intentionally- >>>>> clean sidecutter marks)–this is the ground used for the relay >>>>> circuitry of the SNAXO (any of the four variants: 2-4, 3-6, >>>>> 242, 362), which would definitely cause some problems.>>>>>>>>>> Due to the fact that this was intentionally (albeit >>>>> mistakenly) cut close to the body of the cable, it is not >>>>> repairable here– this would require removing the entire >>>>> connector, re-dressing the multi- conductor wire and replacing >>>>> the pins–all of which would be more expensive than a new >>>>> interconnect, when all is said and done.>>>>>>>>>> Any idea as to the history of the cable?

In reality there are no cuts to conductor N intentional or otherwise, the only cut marks is with the 18th wire with no pins, wound to the screen as commented by MJS.

The cable is designed for use with SNAXO 2-4 or SNAXO 3-6. I'm hoping I can get it to work and put it up for sale with a return policy.

advertisement

Back