advertisement

Burial

Kit Taylor

B000FA55X2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66958875_.jpg

Just bought their eponymous album, which sounds exactly like it's name and cover art.

This is "dubstep," apparently. It's hard, dancey jack knife snare/cymbal patterns over very deconstructed dub bass lines. Think fog and desolate heavy industry. It's rather cinematic, so perhaps a bit bland in places, but the upshot is that it sounds simple and elegant for all its intensity.

It sounds pretty good too. I like hammer on anvil cymbal sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FA55X2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Many say 'Album of the Year'

I say 'Not bad, I have played it a fair few times, and the 12" singles are worth tracking down.'

DS

ITIR - Pulse - Mikado

Haven't heard this but for Dubstep live (surrounded by proper rudeboys which is fun) come along to FWD on Friday nights. Tis in Old Street and is pretty much the most laid back club I've been to.

I do like the Amazon.co.uk user review:

Swathed in crackle and reverb, the soundsystem sensabilities sweep you up and wrap you till you are suffocated under a welter of half speed beats, cavernous bass and snatches of lost vocals. Burial has created as moving an album as you'll ever hear.

I think it's too...vaporous to be an Album Of The Year, but it is very immersive.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Haven't heard this but for Dubstep live (surrounded by proper rudeboys which is fun) come along to FWD on Friday nights. Tis in Old Street and is pretty much the most laid back club I've been to.
Concrete,

where in Old Street?

cheers

Foxwell

Concrete,

where in Old Street?

cheers

Foxwell

At Plastic People on Curtain Street, according to the website at no.s 147-9. Unfortunately it's quite hard to spot unless you know where it is / can identify the enormous black bouncer with a magnificent afro.

It's a good location - underground and small, low ceilings. £7 entry and, from memory, about £3 a pint (including guiness on tap, if that's what floats your boat). But more a smoker's club than a drinkers club really. Starts at 10.30 (well, I say that...we have been left standing outside a long time on repeated occaisions) til 3. Muchas fun alround but your knees may not forgive the hours of bouncing.

At Plastic People on Curtain Street, according to the website at no.s 147-9. Unfortunately it's quite hard to spot unless you know where it is / can identify the enormous black bouncer with a magnificent afro.

It's a good location - underground and small, low ceilings. £7 entry and, from memory, about £3 a pint (including guiness on tap, if that's what floats your boat). But more a smoker's club than a drinkers club really. Starts at 10.30 (well, I say that...we have been left standing outside a long time on repeated occaisions) til 3. Muchas fun alround but your knees may not forgive the hours of bouncing.
I know it. Regularly go to the Co-op there. Great broken beats night. I'll keep an eye out for the next dubstep.

advertisement

Back