advertisement

bulding the ultimate diy system

Sorry to butt in here gents and forgive me if this is better suited to the OT room, but I'm inspired by angora's desire to build the ultimate DIY speaker. I'm so inspired I think I might look for a celebrity girlfriend. I've not had a celebrity girlfriend before but I want the best. Now I know some of these slebs can have expensive tastes but I've had a look round and I reckon I could run to 1 bottle of Cristal, I think they come in about £300 in most bars. Maybe 2 bottles if it was certainly going to seal the deal. So I'm thinking Beyoncé. What do people think about chatup lines when I meet her? I want it to go perfectly, straight upstairs, no messing, no holds barred. I don't want to settle for second best and end up with, say, Kylie. No point in that. So what do people think? Is Cristal the best route?

I'll have some of your popcorn, James, if you don't mind, while our man is sussing his XO slope values between 40kHz and 60kHz. Heaven knows you'd hate to miss out on that bit of musical information. I've got some peanuts and crisps for later, if you like.

I am looking at the lambda td15 models, i have read good things about it but havn't found frequency responce curves yet.

edit: https://sites.google.com/site/drive...ments/15/ae-speakers-td15x/frequency-response looks good, but crossing above 400hz seams to be a bad idea without diffusors in front of the drivers.

they have 10% discount when buying 10 so i can use 4 for each speaker and 2 for active bass absosrbers/similar.

total price for the drivers for one channel is 4000 SEK + 2000 SEK + 10000 SEK + 14000 SEK = 30000 SEK = https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=30000+sek+in+dollar (including taxes).

i will start a thread on diyaudio.com instead when this projekt is closer to contruction, but most help is welcome. th15m should be better than td15h when used as a woofer due to the increased efficiency, the 4 ohm version looks really god on paper http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=4

Good find. This would be an excellent candidate for a 2-way system with the Beyma.....

Now I'll shut up and go back to beer and popcorn

Good find. This would be an excellent candidate for a 2-way system with the Beyma.....

Now I'll shut up and go back to beer and popcorn
it's good for the price http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2758 but still ia bit large to be used with tpl150, the minimum angle with a single element is 18° at crossover frequency(with uniform spread from the drivers), since i plan to build subwoofers two smaller drivers would be more optimal with tpl150.

I will check out for ultrasonic frequency responce measuremeants of tpl150 and see how it compares with the RAAL(if i find any measuremeants).

Hint: when people were asking what music you were going to play, they were pointing out that standard digital sources have no content at all about 22KHz.

Zero - look up Nyquist sampling theorem for an explanation.

Extended ultrasonic response has controversial utility on most currently available recordings.

Hint: when people were asking what music you were going to play, they were pointing out that standard digital sources have no content at all about 22KHz.

Zero - look up Nyquist sampling theorem for an explanation.

Extended ultrasonic response has controversial utility on most currently available recordings.
do you seriosly think i don't already know about the nyquist theorem?
actually there might be content abouve the nyquistfrequency if the dac filter is designed that way. i have done two successfull blindtest(different sample rates) and concluded that it's sometimes very important to reproduce ultrasonic frequnecies.

and why would they mean that, loundness war is a bigger issue for most recordings(this is why i mentioned 1812 overture, i meant the high quality web release).

If you want extended response, you can always add a dedicated supertweeter; this is what the big JBL systems do. In some models there is a crossover point from the main compression driver at 20KHz; the small compression driver then goes up to over 50KHz.

There is some response irregularity in the crossover region as the drivers are not time aligned.

Other models have a similar strategy but bring the crossover point further down (I think 8KHz in the K2?), so that a larger driver and horn can be used, allowing crossover to the main cone drivers at a lower point.

The tradeoff that compression drivers give is:
* Pro: very sensitive, controlled dispersion (when used on right horn)
* Con: Can only handle about 3 or 4 octaves, horn is very large, often ragged response in upper range, need response shaping in crossover.

Line sources (like the RAAL) can have reasonable horizontal dispersion, but beam very strongly vertically, and this effect increases as he frequency rises. This can give problems matching the on-axis response to the power response.

Point sources give consistent wide dispersion, so make matching on-axis and power response feasible.

Line sources (like the RAAL) can have reasonable horizontal dispersion, but beam very strongly vertically, and this effect increases as he frequency rises. This can give problems matching the on-axis response to the power response.

Point sources give consistent wide dispersion, so make matching on-axis and power response feasible.
i have checked http://www.audioexcite.com/?page_id=2523 and it actually looks pretty good, the RAAL uses foam deflection pads to solve this issue, pretty neat solution actually.

Me too. I've just counted and my DAC's got 22 regs although only 8 of them are super and the rest are just Shunt or Flea. Must just be part of the plain old pen-ultimate diy system.

I don't know what I would do with myself if I ever got beyond the pen-ultimate and completed the ultimate one. There would be nothing left to look forward to.

Yes quite perhaps we should have a pfm crapy DAC thread, PD MC and Sparts etc could even advise on how to improve it.

I seem to remember seeing such a thead in a dream once...
:D :D :D

What do people think about chatup lines when I meet her? I want it to go perfectly, straight upstairs, no messing, no holds barred.
You need to be more specific about what you want to do with her (or more pertinently, what you want her to do to you). Like, do you want GFE, PSE or something kinkier?

:D

A measuremeant microphone is needed, i found earthworks qtc-50 with the frequency responce of 3hz to 50khz, i plan to get a real studio microphone since i might use it for other purposes as well.

You can't really do that much better as a 'real studio microphone' than the Earthworks QTC series. I have a pair of QTC 1s myself - they're just stunning. For just about any application. Unless you want articulate but slightly coloured male vocals or something in which case you might want to look at something like a Brauner Valvet or a whole host of others...

but the QTC 50 is a shockingly articulate 'all rounder' totally in a class of it's own...

You can't really do that much better as a 'real studio microphone' than the Earthworks QTC series. I have a pair of QTC 1s myself - they're just stunning. For just about any application. Unless you want articulate but slightly coloured male vocals or something in which case you might want to look at something like a Brauner Valvet or a whole host of others...

but the QTC 50 is a shockingly articulate 'all rounder' totally in a class of it's own...
Sounds promesing :) what are you using for 48v phanthom power etc?
Another issue is to find a affordable 176.4kS/s(or better) adc.

For most utilitarian purposes (cheap and very high quality) I would recommend the Apogee Duet interface (highly) - you'll need to spend QUITE a lot more to better it. But if you DO want to go a level up I'd recommend the Earthworks preamps themselves. They really do set a standard of their own... though you will still need a A/D converter - in which case I'd STILL recommend the Duet... so start with the duet and then expand to a high quality analog preamp separate to improve on things....

I'm using a duet but trying to find the above preamp currently...

i wan't the adc to work both with linux and windows(this would save time), and ofcourse it should have usb 2.0 384 kS/s support is a bonus but not nessisary, also i don't wan't to spend over $600 on a adc, hopefully i will find something.

advertisement

Back