advertisement

Buffalo Summary to date please

Thought Tony was building some regs for you ?

Yes he is. We had a lovely chat and music listen a couple of months ago and discussed his regs but he is still fiddling with the design. Soooooo...

I sent Paul a cease and desist message and he got back and said he had cocked up my order and sent my regs to someone else a while back and he could make mine and send them within a week. I decided to let him do that as so many had liked them and I can compare with Tony's when he finalises the design.

Yes he is. We had a lovely chat and music listen a couple of months ago and discussed his regs but he is still fiddling with the design. Soooooo...

I sent Paul a cease and desist message and he got back and said he had cocked up my order and sent my regs to someone else a while back and he could make mine and send them within a week. I decided to let him do that as so many had liked them and I can compare with Tony's when he finalises the design.

Ah good, noramaly when Tony gets the bit between his teeth there is no stopping him. We've not had one of his threads for a while.

Thought Tony was building some regs for you ?

Yes but ever so slowly, I think I actually built three versions for Gareth but they each had an issue and kept getting superceded. Current version seems real good but has some bug style bodges so a new board is 99% designed. The last 1% takes 99% of the time :D
Summer always stops my diy play and work got a bit scary also.
Ill pick it up in the autumn.

I learned some stuff acout wobbly speaker mountings which has changed my positions somewhat so now I got some pipe insulation type bass traps / diffusers to knock up soon.

Building a fish pond right now.

Well, close to 18 months later thanks mainly to an EXTREMELY slow Paul Hynes, the Buff is up and running again. It is running his PR3i3 5.25v psu then a full set of DAC regs replacing the Tridents and the AVCC board.

It has been a while but I am extremely happy with the sound just not the wait to get here. Very impressive improvement over the original specs with Bass especially making a welcome return.

Lots of listening to to then get back to finishing my Ergos

Thought you had them a while back else I would have cracked on a bit more.

I've said many times that for Buffalo regulation is everything, onnce regs are reasonable you gotta go to an I2S data feed.

Thats really interesting thread, i also didnt want to try all possible tweaks, but get just best results for the money.

So, i have the last version of TPA regs....tridents and new HDs. This make big difference togetehr with dual mono. I also tried Panasonic ECHU in positions of c1-4 and c19-22, it transformed the sound a bit, its softer, maybe bit punchier.

Its all quite good sounding, but there is just not enough fun in the music and a bit lack of bass. I remember my tweek of naim gears with teddy pardo regs.... The first moment i put the music on i was just amazed....i was just enjoying the music! I just forgot this tweaking stuff for a moment.

I miss the fun, so i am thinking of changing some capacitors in power supply (hd and triedents) to tantalum, thise give this punchy kind of music, but dont know really how to apply them. I was just thinking of putting them in outputs of triedents and hds. Maybe there is someone who tried some tantalum in buffalo.

To sum up, after upgrading to new HDs and triedents plus dual mono i have got more buffalo! Its more deteiled, better controlled, softer in the highs...but its still buffalo.

I spend like 2000€ on buffalo and wonder what could commercial stuff do for that money...like chord, which suppose to be quite musical.

advertisement

Back