advertisement

Budget 401

Zaphod

I have picked this up from a charity shop at a price than might make some on here cry (£20! yes, theft really)... While I have always wanted a 401 or 301 I never actually thought I would have one as the price has always stopped me. My current turntables are a technics SL1700 Mk2 and a Beogram 5005.. oh and now this.

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

What I am curious about is the arm, it does not really look like it should be there , I know they never came with one but this really does not look like it belongs, but I'd like to know what it is.

I am looking to put somthing else on there and currently am looking at a second hand Rega R200 or ACOS Lustre GST1, (The ubiquitous SME 3009 is again out of my range!) I will have to build a plinth, any advice? and what should be serviced, this looks to have been in 'storage' for some time!

Wow! Well done!

The arm is a Decca London or Decca International if I'm not mistaken. Few arms look right with a 401 as it sits so high. The Decca is OK, I'm told.

I made a plinth from Ikea chopping boards, cost £40, sounds great, looks good.

Wow - incredible bargain!!! :eek:

I never seem to get the 'too good to be true' deals - bah!

Enjoy :)

- John

P.S. Second what Steve says about the IKEA chopping boards - worked well my my 301.

What a great find! I'm sure we're all secretly feeling a bit green, but good for you anyway...

I think the arm is a connoisseur. Not brilliant but not so bad either. However, an R200 or Linn LV-V will walk all over it, so go for it.

Lucky man a good find, the arm is a connoisser often sold with a BD1 as a kit, ball race bearings, not bad for a cheapy of its day but a 401 demands the best arm you can afford especially a top end uni-pivot, thats what I use.
Geoff

Oh I also have a damaged (in a house move)Transcriptor arm (IIRC fuild mounted???), like the one seen on clockwork orange currently its attached to a TD150 mk1. Maybe that would be worth resurecting if it's possible?

Congratulations! A flea-market crawler's dream!

The wooden plinth it already has looks like good quality 1960s veneer. From the days when veneer really had a grain you could feel with your fingers. So what about simply mildly restoring that? Just a thought.

Congratulations! A flea-market crawler's dream!

The wooden plinth it already has looks like good quality 1960s veneer. From the days when veneer really had a grain you could feel with your fingers. So what about simply mildly restoring that? Just a thought.

I may do that, however there is damage to the corners (I guess the shop were not as carfull as one would like!) but it does have (not pictured) a nice perspex lid, however I won't be binning it out of hand. But the area where the arm is mounted has not been very carfully done when you lift off the mounting block

My wife and mum always check out charity shops for bags and other things and I've just asked her to memorise "this photo" ! :) ...fingers crossed. Giving her a potential shopping list too ;)

Good find!

I stand corrected. They are very similar looking arms. I didn't know the Decca had a spirit level on it, thanks.

Well being impatient I have pluged it in, and attached it to my a marantz PM-54 and KEF Codas, teh Garrad parts seem to do what they are supposed to, the speed adjuster sits about 1/3rd of a grauatuation to the left of 0 and the M95ED seems to do its job as does the arm, pleased with how it behaves overall. See how it is with a new arm on it next!

Why change the arm?

look up the SAU2 & make sure its set up right & uses the right protractor - its a short arm so it has its own specific setting

I think the bearings on the SAU2 are shot, there is a bit of play axially on the arm, not really sure I am able to sort this out.

Oh as for the LP.. Tommy.

advertisement

Back