advertisement

BT VoIP roll-out - problems with custom network gear?

IceG

pfm Member
I have put this is the Audio sub-forum (rather than Off Topic) as I think this is an audio issue - Tony please move it if you think that is wrong.

So why does this affect us...

BT have contacted us and told us we will be switched to VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) within 30 days. We had had previous notification that this would happen some time in 2024-2025 but it seems we are in an area (London N10/N11 postcodes) that is early in the roll-out schedule.

Currenty running an old BT Home Hub 3 with distribution over TP-Link ethernet over power plugs, and wifi. Over this is run the streaming systems (Meridian Sooloos and TIDAL/BluSound), and the AV streaming from Sky, Amazon and Netflix.

It seems that we must convert to a BT Smart Hub 2 to support VoIP which means a lot of faffing with IP addresses and so forth. Our voice telephony wiring will also need an engineer as it has a configuration that reflects some legacy requirements. It is not clear if we need new telephones.

But it occurred to me that many people who use BT broadband run non-standard modems/routers and hubs for specific purposes, such as the maximisation of audio quality, etc. Apparently BT VoIP will only work with the BT Smart Hub 2.

What are peoples' experiences round here/ What worked well and what needed faffing and/or engineering intervention?

I moved ISP (from BT) and and as part of the move had my number ported to VoIP.

So the house telephone resides with AAISP and at the time I moved to ZEN for internet, AAISP supplied a phone and adapter which i did have to purchase but these arrived preconfigured All that needed doing was plugging into power and a spare Ethernet port.

Zen supplied a preconfigured Fritzbox router, again plug and play.

Have since moved ISP and not had to touch anything on the VoIP side, the “rental” via AAISP is £1.44 a month plus calls.

If I move house I can still use the number anywhere in the UK as long as I have broadband connection.

I have put this is the Audio sub-forum (rather than Off Topic) as I think this is an audio issue - Tony please move it if you think that is wrong.

So why does this affect us...

BT have contacted us and told us we will be switched to VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) within 30 days. We had had previous notification that this would happen some time in 2024-2025 but it seems we are in an area (London N10/N11 postcodes) that is early in the roll-out schedule.

Currenty running an old BT Home Hub 3 with distribution over TP-Link ethernet over power plugs, and wifi. Over this is run the streaming systems (Meridian Sooloos and TIDAL/BluSound), and the AV streaming from Sky, Amazon and Netflix.

It seems that we must convert to a BT Smart Hub 2 to support VoIP which means a lot of faffing with IP addresses and so forth. Our voice telephony wiring will also need an engineer as it has a configuration that reflects some legacy requirements. It is not clear if we need new telephones.

But it occurred to me that many people who use BT broadband run non-standard modems/routers and hubs for specific purposes, such as the maximisation of audio quality, etc. Apparently BT VoIP will only work with the BT Smart Hub 2.

What are peoples' experiences round here/ What worked well and what needed faffing and/or engineering intervention?
My dad move from home hub 3 to smart hub 2. I installed it for him. It was a straight swap and everything worked as before. The smart hub 2 has the benefit of a phone socket at the rear where you can plug an analogue phone in. As long as your number is switched to voip by BT then everything should be good. You should have no IP address issues as long as you are not setting fixed addresses within your current router And you should be able to use your existing phone handset. If you are setting fixed IP addresses then you’ll need to re set these up when you get the new hub. As to your wiring, sounds Like BT will convert you to full fibre which will require your existing copper telephone wire to be replaced with fibre to your property which means you will get a new box where the fibre terminates. Unless there is something else going on with the config at your property the switch should be fairly stress free. Hope I’ve not made incorrect assumptions. You probably know more about how you are currently connected.

Been switched (against my will and I protested and got nowhere) and the only difference is the phone is plugged into the back of the BT router. Phone quality is the same.

A home hub 3 is ancient, the Smart hub 2 is vastly better. Almost suprised the HH3 is still working.

Best thing you can do is pop into your home hub 3 LAN settings and note down which devices you’ve assigned any static IPs to (take a picture of the screen?)

The Smart Hub is very similar to setup so you should be fine.

As a bonus the smart hub 2 is compatible with the mesh discs, which work superbly.

Are you still on old ADSL or some form of fibre now?

I'm with BT FTTP and it does indeed suck that I can't use a different router because of VoIP, but only because the SH2 is a bit Micky Mouse. It doesn't even have QoS.

If you think your router affects the sound quality of your Hi-Fi however, you need your head looking at.

advertisement

Back