advertisement

Broken TEAC AH-01 - any possibility of repair?

daws0n

pfm Member
I'vr recently bought a used teac ah01 and sadly it's failed after just a few hours of use...

I turned it on yesterday and was greeted with a short popping noise from my speakers followed by a barely audible constant hum.

The amp responds to all source selections and remote presses but now produces no sound. As it's a surface mounted PCB class D design what are the odds of someone repairing it?

Internal photo example here:

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/home-theatre-audiophiles-13/teac-h01-no-power-repair-5958921.html

In my very limited experience it’s a cap that craps itself can cause that, I see one big on the board perhaps lift the top off and upload a photo, but if there is goo on the cap you might be in luck

Last edited:
Its a fault with the SMPS and as gary says probably a capacitor that requires replacement on the RHS of the board.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll make an account on hifiengine and will take a look tomorrow.

I've taken the lid off the amp and there are no obvious culprits - caps all look clean with flat tops.

If the power amp has died it looks like an off the shelf module which I could replace for around £70... But, I've tried the headphone output and that is silent also - so perhaps the fault is with the SMPS / mainboard somewhere?

It's a real shame as it's a lovely little amp. My eclipse speakers are a single driver design, so WPC isn't important but an amp with an RCA subwoofer output is a must. This teac was the perfect choice as it's compact and runs cool. Ironically, I thought that replacing my 20 year old Kenwood mid-sized amp was a good idea - obviously not!

I am going to wire it back in tonight, fingers and toes crossed that the speakers have survived the "pop" noise and no harm is done to them.

As per clap's advice I took the amp to Peter Ellison in Cardiff - it was fixed within a week for a very reasonable price, highly recommended :)

As per clap's advice I took the amp to Peter Ellison in Cardiff - it was fixed within a week for a very reasonable price, highly recommended :)

I can second that, very knowledgable, trustworthy and reasonably priced.

My amp had all the same symptoms as the OPs. I found the schematic and traced the problem just using a multi-meter to R11 on the underside of the board (At TP9, I had -3v instead of -15v). I replaced that resistor and was back in business.

The test points are on the underside of the board. What also threw me off for a bit though was that the ICE amp board provides power to preamp section on the main PCB.

Good job thanksforthefish! I can't remember exactly what the repair tech said, but he mentioned resistors and that it was an easy fix - maybe a common point of failiure with these amps? Been using it daily since with no issues, very under-rated piece of kit IMO.

advertisement

Back