advertisement

Broken rib

Dozey

Air guitar member
Looks like I managed to break a rib at the weekend by falling off a step ladder and landing on top of it. Any tips on how to speed recovery? I am due to go on holiday at the weekend!

mmm...

not much comes to mind.

Stop smoking.
Brace your body in the area of the pain with a pillow or towel if you need to cough, may help with pain.
Take adequate analgesia rather than being 'brave / idiotic,' take painkillers regularly for a few days.
you know the pain will be there, so don't wait for the pain to arrive - it makes sense to take regular pre-emptive analgesia. Ibuprofen and paracetamol work well together and will not bung you up like codeine
Avoid doing anything that makes it worse.

I have had broken ribs, bloody hurts.

Looks like I managed to break a rib at the weekend by falling off a step ladder and landing on top of it. Any tips on how to speed recovery? I am due to go on holiday at the weekend!
Are you flying/ travelling outside the EU? If so keep an eye on your travel insurance exclusions and disclosures if you need to cancel or seek medical assistance.

You say 'looks like' - implies you have not gone down to your local emergency centre to get an X-ray to confirm. When I did it I thought I was just bruised from a fall off a skate board (as a middle age chap at the time, be advised that such activities are reserved for youngsters who still bend or bounce!)

It is (or can be) er..uncomfortable as a Doctor would say - by which they mean ruddy painful.

Nothing you can do other than take it easy - which you will, 'cos anything else ruddy hurts! Paracetamol will help. If you are going overseas make sure you carry them unmolested in their original packaging!. Maybe some rubbed in cream can also help.

The serious bit.. If X-ray shows you have you will get appropriate advice. Useful to know if it is more than one broken. A pharmacist can advise which pills and creams can be mixed up for best effect, or minimal interaction. Under medical guidance you might be surprised how big a dose you can get away with for short periods of time.

I slipped backwards on steps and cracked 4: I thought I was dead. Went in a car to hospital. By the time I got there I needed a jab in the bum for the pain. Lucky that 2 of the cracks were relatively small or I could have punctured my lung. Now that would have been a bummer.
On that subject I got constipated for days as it was too painful... you get the drift.

Last edited:
The couple of times I’ve done it, it actually got worse / more uncomfortable after 4/5 days for a day or two,

this was my experience too.

initially I didnt think I had broken a rib, and got by on pain killers for 3/4 days or so, but then it got worse and I had to go to A & E, where an x ray confirmed a break.
I cant remember why it gets worse after a few days, but it was explained to me.
So to the OP. you may have that experience to look forward to even now.

good luck.

In addition to the advice already given I would recommend you check your various insurances to see if you can cancel your holiday - after all given your levels of pain / discomfort you aren't going to be able to enjoy it or even participate if it is an activity holiday e.g. skiing.

I fell off a hill about four weeks ago and possibly cracked a rib (never went to A&E - there’s not much they’d do anyway). It’s still quite sore, though I’ve been doing other stuff since (running mainly) so perhaps not resting it enough. It certainly made running a trail marathon a couple of days ago sonewhat challenging. Damned unpleasant thing for anyone to have happen....

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have now been to the local urgent care centre (what used to be an A&E). The doc said they don't X ray as the treatment is the same whether there is a break or not. She warned that it might get worse before it gets better and suggested supporting the area and doing deep breathing exercises. Fortunately the holiday is staying in a good hotel in Madeira and walking, so I can just cut down on the walking if it gets worse.

whatever you do don't let your kid jump on your chest after a couple of weeks and you've almost forgotten about it, you'll soon remember how painful broken ribs can be.

l feel your pain, l boke a rib sparring and let me tell it was not funny..... what the trainer told me do was wrap your ribcage in kitchen cling film ( stop sniggering at the back) this helps support the rib cage and l have to say it did indeed help.

Oh and try to keep the coughing to a minimum if possible.

It’s painful, and at times feels like it’s never going to get better. I felt comfortable sitting in a chair - to the extent I thought of sleeping sat in it. You’ve just got to give it time I’m afraid.

advertisement

Back