advertisement

Broken M-DAC ?

replace alllll of them.

The MDAC is chock full of caps + heat, so they probably tried to make a significant saving per unit, and it backfired.

replace alllll of them.

The MDAC is chock full of caps + heat, so they probably tried to make a significant saving per unit, and it backfired.

Maybe you have some inside information, considered opinon is that Lelon were supplied a bad batch of electrolyte.

Many large manufacturers have had problems with supplies of 'bad caps' including Samsung, Dell and others..

Maybe you have some inside information, considered opinon is that Lelon were supplied a bad batch of electrolyte.

Many large manufacturers have had problems with supplies of 'bad caps' including Samsung, Dell and others..

nah, just that lelon are not considered a good brand anywhere, aside from electrolyte, but they are cheap. .

There is of course a certain bias in that having seen so many of their caps all dead, is because they are used so often to keep prices down in reasonably harsh environments like SMPS and areas with high ambient temps in consumer gear, items that don't use the nicer caps anyway.

At least they never went with Capxon :)

Hello,
There is exactly the same click sound. I noticed it about 2 years after the purchase of M-DAC.
Replaced all, not only the bad, but totally all the Lelon electrolytic and Lelon, blue marked, OCRZ capacitors.

Type and parameters are selected in accordance with the datasheet of capacitor manufacturers.
Lelon RXY electrolytic => Panasonic FC,FR, Nichicon, United Chemi-Con
electrolytic
Lelon OCRZ (Aluminium Organic Conductive Polymer Capacitors) => Nichicon RL8 (FPCAP Aluminium Organic Conductive Polymer Capacitors)
(Mouser)

Click sound is the same. The reason is not in the Lelon capacitors.

The DC offset at the outputs of the MDAC, after 20 min warm-up, is about 1mV

Everyone hears a click sound like this?

replace alllll of them.

To reduce the heat load inside the M-DAC.
In the case on the right side, in the zone of the Internal regulated supply rails, just above the level of the PCB, drilled a row of 9 holes with a diameter of 6 mm.
The temperature of the case noticeably decreased.

I cant help but think that too much effort is paid to cosmetics and too little to cooling? Either include a fan system or have a metal gauze type grill ok I know you can then see the innards and little johnny can spill his fizzy drink over it but atleast it wont fail due to over heating? The psu for the Roksan Xerxes is even worse no wonder they failed often with the caps boiling dry and the chips burning up?

Some of the caps in my Mdac have failed and I have a purpose built case with 2/3 times the ventilation area.

John Westlake had a power supply board in his drawer for several years and the caps failed on that.

The MDAC cost around £ 600 and has some 60/70 caps in it at a guess.

How much would it have cost with audio quality caps ??

Weiss the price ?

It still rates as a great DAC today especially so with an internal PSU upgrade.

I have a domestic fan that I bombard my 8200cdq with to keep the case cool and have raised the case a bit so the air flow from the fan can get under. I removed the top of my xerxes psu and that no longer gets hot

I/ve just had a look inside and see has a lot of brown Su'scon caps how do they rate in the scheme of things?

also some black ones cant make out the name

I met the opinion that reducing the condenser temperature by 10 degrees increases the service life of the capacitor by a factor of 2.

We can argue about the multiplicity of extending the service life, but the trend is obvious. IMHO.

Some of the caps in my Mdac have failed and I have a purpose built case with 2/3 times the ventilation area.

John Westlake had a power supply board in his drawer for several years and the caps failed on that.

The MDAC cost around £ 600 and has some 60/70 caps in it at a guess.

How much would it have cost with audio quality caps ??

Weiss the price ?

It still rates as a great DAC today especially so with an internal PSU upgrade.

Sadly putting decent (not audio) caps in it would probably raise the retail price by £100 or so at least?; looking at a picture, there's 5 large ones, 24 big ones and loads of other smaller ones in it, that's a lot of cost to not simply pass on but markup, and it would have affected its sales I'm sure. If the caps went gassy even not used, then it does seem like a bad batch of electrolyte.

I tried looking for lelon caps on eBay and it said "do you mean Lemon caps?" which made me laugh :D

Sadly putting decent (not audio) caps in it would probably raise the retail price by £100 or so at least?; looking at a picture, there's 5 large ones, 24 big ones and loads of other smaller ones in it, that's a lot of cost to not simply pass on but markup, and it would have affected its sales I'm sure. If the caps went gassy even not used, then it does seem like a bad batch of electrolyte.

I tried looking for lelon caps on eBay and it said "do you mean Lemon caps?" which made me laugh :D

My experience.

The price of 111 capacitors (M-DAC mainboard + PCU) for the total replacement of Lelon was about 75 € .

In my opinion, when buying on e-bay, the high risk of fake capacitors.

I met the opinion that reducing the condenser temperature by 10 degrees increases the service life of the capacitor by a factor of 2.

We can argue about the multiplicity of extending the service life, but the trend is obvious. IMHO.

Yes, the two things that kill electrolytes is heat and high voltage.

My experience.

The price of 111 capacitors (M-DAC mainboard + PCU) for the total replacement of Lelon was about 75 € .

In my opinion, when buying on e-bay, the high risk of fake capacitors.

I only buy components from RS online or the like; fast, professional, and very low chance of fakes getting through. :)

Thank you all ...

I have to find a professional to fix the capacitors and preferably someone who is good at M-DAC. I can not fix it myself! :(

advertisement

Back