advertisement

Britten War Requiem - what am I missing?

ian r

401's Nakman
I listened to this for the 5th time today and definitely get side 3 (vinyl) but am frustrated I dont get the first half

Any gnosis out there on this one

Its the Decca big Black Box 63 recording - I wish it had been recorded in the Aldeborugh acoustic - or am I wrong on that too? Was it after the fire and before the rebuild at Aldeborough?

Well, I have loved this piece for many years so can`t really help. The recording was made in 1963 which was before the Maltings was opened as well as before the fire so Kingsway Hall was a natural (Decca) place to record. I was pleased to get this as part of the big box of Decca since I rarely get round to playing LPs these days - too much trouble to clear the piles of CDs off the top of the gram.

Yes but no but Im looking for tips on the War Requiem - a lot of his music is easy some is hard - but the first half seems unengaging and Im puzzled about that - in many of his own recordings I get thru to the next peice that reaches me by enjoying the recording - especially the Alderborough recordings in htis case I dont have that either

I prefer Richard Hickox's LSO recording on Chandos from early 1990s. I always find Galina Vishnewhatshername hard going.

What I particularly don't like about Britten's own recording is the placement of the musicians, with the chamber ensemble on one side and the full orchestra on the other.... that's just a waste of good stereo IMO !

Ah ha - yes I think I agree with the rashin poet bit and the recording is odd - this is just the sort of thing I was after. side 3 (too lazy to check) is mostly one not the other, and there was me still believing the hype about 'those decca recordings' - this one is clear enough but the acoustic is unappealing. perhaps a clean and the Denon next time

advertisement

Back